Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Quilting with Girl Scouts...Help?!

Quote Originally Posted by Kcmomto2 View Post
    Not sure if there was a past thread with this topic, but does anyone have any pointers, EASY patterns, best practices, etc. for leading Fourteen 11 yr old, Junior Girl Scouts, eager to sew in making baby quilts for a local charitable organization? (It's not Project Linus, this time...) We'll have approx. 4 hours total start to finish. We can prepare some aspects of the materials ahead of time, but need to leave a lot of the steps to these enthusiastic and very capable young ladies. There will be five or six sewing machines available. Any thoughts?
    If you get to chose the fabric, I'd be tempted to find panels and then just frame them out. I'm assuming each girl will do one? I'd think you'd need ever bit of four hours to sandwich and pin and sew and tack.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

We did this last year for my granddaughters Girl Scout troop. All the material was precut, and we had several sewing machines available, and several adults to assist. Some of the girls were actually very nervous around the sewing machines. Some were sewing like pros. They made small lap quilts for the local old folks home, and after they had sewn them all together, Moms did the tying. They all had a good time, just make it simple for them.
    Amythyst

I love this. I bought the magazine back when, and made these myself. Great project. We're considering this! Thank you Anita, for responding yourself! Very thoughtful of you!

Thank you all for the input! The options are endless! I had bought the Quiltmaker May/June 2006 issue when it was on the newsstand and actually did make the Super Size 9 patch quilts. I think we're going to use this pattern. Thank you Anita Solomon Grossman for posting the link. We'll use a group of 3 single yard cuts that coordinate, but mostly, we're going to precut blocks in the sizes that you end up with after cutting the yardage. If that makes sense! The girls had a blast last year picking out all their own blocks/fabrics for their own blankets. I'm sure we'll end up with some pretty imaginative combinations. If I remember, I'll post some pics!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3