Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting gloves...assume you can't buy them...what would work as substitute? >

Quilting gloves...assume you can't buy them...what would work as substitute?

Quilting gloves...assume you can't buy them...what would work as substitute?

Old 03-30-2012, 11:56 AM

Default Quilting gloves...assume you can't buy them...what would work as substitute?

I was working on a quilt today and for the first time, I understood why some use special quilting gloves.

As far as I know, they aren't available here for purchase. What are they like? Would just rubber gloves (skinny ones like surgeon's) help keep the quilt from slipping from under my fingers?
Old 03-30-2012, 11:58 AM
Power Poster

Use the gardening gloves with the dots on the inside of the palm and fingers. They work just fine and are much less expensive.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:59 AM

Some people use gardening gloves. I can't stand to wear gloves so I've tried other things. I have used a couple of squares of that waffley rubber shelf liner stuff and that works pretty good. I finally gave up and bought a set of Betty Bands and they work really, really well. I will say unless you have fairly small hands get the big size because they're sized small.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
Some people use gardening gloves. I can't stand to wear gloves so I've tried other things. I have used a couple of squares of that waffley rubber shelf liner stuff and that works pretty good. I finally gave up and bought a set of Betty Bands and they work really, really well. I will say unless you have fairly small hands get the big size because they're sized small.
OK. Betty Bands? Interesting name. I'll have to google them.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:10 PM

I find they really help me push the quilt through the machine. I hope you're able to find something that works.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:10 PM

You can also use these rubber finger tips, I imagine your office supply place might have them there.
http://www.officedepot.com/a/product...tips-11-12-58/

or you could just cut the finger part off of rubber gloves (for the kitchen) and use that. I have tried with the complete rubber glove but it is very sticky.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:13 PM
Power Poster

Rubber gloves will work, as will gardening gloves -- any glove with a "grabbing" type palm. The biggest problem with rubber gloves is that they don't breathe; therefore, your hands can get quite hot and sweaty inside them. The big advantage of quilting gloves is that the non-gripping portion of the glove is lightweight, stretchable to conform to your hand, and breathable.

They don't have to be gloves, though. If you can get the waffle-type shelf liner (made of what seems like rubber) designed to protect both wood and dishes, you can cut that into two hand-sized pieces and simply place them on top of the quilt. They "grab" the quilt, and you can then apply your hands to them to move the quilt around more easily. This type of shelf liner is sold here in Walmart, Target, etc. Here is a link to a photo of how one quilter cut them to use like this (scroll down the page a little, photo on the left with her Pfaff sewing machine):
http://pinevalley.co.nz/blog/?cat=44

Edit: I tried the finger cots used by secretaries, but they did not work well for me. I think it depends on the type of fingertips you have (mine are small and tapered) and how well the finger cots fit on them (always on the slightly loose side for me). They would easily pop off while I was quilting, which was very annoying.

Last edited by Prism99; 03-30-2012 at 12:24 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:16 PM
Power Poster

You can also try the old rubber finger tips that secretaries used to use, maybe check a stationer's store.
Rubberized gardening gloves are the best substitute. Try to get the tightest fit. YOu can also try pieces of no slip drawer liner, pieces about the size of your hand. Put them on the quilt and lay your hands on them. Good luck!
Old 03-30-2012, 12:33 PM
Power Poster

Betty Bands are great. If you can find foam backed vinyl fabric, usually sold for out door use, it works the same. In fact you can iron on the foam side just like the Steady Betty pressing boards. It use to be sold at most home improvement stores here and upholstery shops usually have it.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:00 PM

What about rubber shelf lining? Comes in a small roll and not too expensive. I cut squares the size of my hands and just lay them on the quilt under my hands. They really grip the fabric.