Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilting guild >

quilting guild

quilting guild

Old 01-10-2012, 06:48 PM

Default quilting guild

Going to a quilting guild tomorrow for first time, don't know what to expect and am a little shy. One of my friends is going with me. What do they do at one ? Any reply will be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:54 PM

Ours has a social hour for the 1st half hour then we get down to business. After that there is a demo of one thing to another. They are fun, great way to meet other quilters who eventually become friends.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:57 PM

and you might want to take something small...either a WIP or something finished...most guilds share, with everyone just showing what they have worked on...
Old 01-10-2012, 07:05 PM

My guild in Chester Co, PA, does coffee and snacks before the meeting for about a half hour. Once the meeting starts, we do brief reports from the officers and committee members, then show and tell by the members, then there is a brief break and the second half of the meeting is a speaker's presentation. In the winter when it's more likely that the meeting may be cancelled due to snow, we often have home-grown programs so we're not making a speaker travel for a missed meeting.

Generally people are friendly and happy to see new faces; I think you'll have a great time. If there's contact info on the notice that led you to the meeting, that person can probably fill you in on what that guild does more specifically.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:06 PM

Ours is a very large guild with over 200 members. 130 at the last meeting so it is not possible to know everyone. but still a great way to meet others with same interest. First part of meeting is lecture or talk then show and tell (without a lot of talking). show and tell is volunteery. Then quick business portion to discuss "stuff". this spring the guild is sponsoring a "quilt college" so info about that is presented during this part of meeting. There is a swap table in the back where you bring scraps, mags, etc and take whatever you want, even if you didn't donate anything. Have fun.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:12 PM

We usually have a short business meeting to discuss fundraisers, opportunity quilt, upcoming quilt show, etc. Then we usually bring in a speaker (someone who shows off their quilts, technique, talks about different types of batting, applique, etc.) Last night was different because we had a School House where we had about eight different guild members showing us a different technique, block, stitch, etc. We moved from table to table on our own. That was a lot of fun and I learned so much, like: a one seam flying geese block, twilling, embroidering with ribbon, a neat quilt as you go block, tips on working with bias, rouching, different prairie points, etc. That was really fun.

Hope you enjoy your first meeting. It will be nice to go with a friend. I went by myself the first couple of months and then a few very nice older ladies took me under their wing. That has made a big difference. I have met and made a lot of friends. Quilters are usually very friendly, but women can be cliquish at times.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:44 PM

I work three days a week and it seemed all the guilds in this area meet on the days I work..I made a few phone calls today and found out about a small group that meets weekly (on my day off) 2miles from my home... YEAH!!!
Old 01-10-2012, 07:52 PM
Banned

We start out with the business meeting portion, then fund raisers or other events we are involved in. Then we have a show and tell time so feel free to take something along to show off. I did at the first meeting I went to last fall. Then we usually have one or two demonstrate a technique or quilt they are working on.

They also have a sit and sew time all day prior to the meeting and time afterwards if anyone wants to stay and sew some more.

Have fun and let us know what you think.

Phyllis
Old 01-11-2012, 07:31 AM

Our Quilt Guild is small, only about a dozen people. We have a meeting, show & tell and demo's. We inform each other of shows that are in our area, help each other out when necessary, go on mini shop hops and work on charity quilts. But best of all, we have become good friends.
Go to the meeting and ENJOY !
Old 01-11-2012, 07:47 AM

You will find wonderful benefits from a quilt guild. It presents opportunities for learning, sharing resources, and making friendships.

If you are shy and still want to connect, you might look carefully at the people and their quilts during show and tell segment. Choose one that looks interesting and afterwards go up to that person and compliment her on the quilt and ask questions about it.

Also, find an officer or other obvious leader and ask her questions you might have about the guild.

There is no easier way to start a conversation than to be interested and ask questions!

Have fun!

Dayle