Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting on home machine >

Quilting on home machine

Quilting on home machine

Old 11-09-2016, 02:22 PM

Default Quilting on home machine

I read all the posts on the QB for stitch in the ditch, watched YouTube videos and read several blogs about it. I had done SID on my very first quilt- Convergence by Ricky Tims- what was I thinking! So I am thinking this can't be too hard since the little quilt is about 30" X 40". I glue basted and it looked so good. Changed the needle on machine to a quilting needle, put walking foot on and some soothing music. Starting in the middle and working my way out was working pretty well. But as I worked my way around the quilt, puckers appeared here and there on the front! Seam ripper and I bonded even more yesterday. I stuck it out and finished but certainly way below my standard of approval. Will put binding on tonight and wash. Has anyone experienced this frustration with SID? What other resources would you suggest to improve on this? I spent 4 hours- yes, four hours on this little quilt! And at the end, I feel more relief than it being a learning experience and it certainly was not fun.
Old 11-09-2016, 02:56 PM

SID takes time and practice, just like any quilting does. It will be easier the more you do it. I like SID on small projects because doesn't take anything away from the fabrics or the design of the project. Sometimes, things can be quilted too much.
Old 11-09-2016, 03:06 PM
Power Poster

Try lengthening your stitch length a bit, turn in different direction with each seam- don't do everything vertical then try to do all horizontal... do one vertical, one horizontal, etc till done ( I also reverse direction- top to bottom, right to left, bottom to top, left to right) that helps keep things even. And practice. Are the things that have worked for me.
Old 11-09-2016, 03:54 PM
Power Poster

SITD straight lines that cross each other are always hard. You can get little puckers if you are not super careful at those points. Keep practicing, it will get better.
Old 11-09-2016, 04:03 PM
IQ2

use quilting gloves and spread the seams out with your two hands as you move down the seam.
Old 11-09-2016, 04:33 PM

I just found this site for machine quilting tips. Just 6 little tips. Maybe they will help you. I know I'm going to try several of the suggestions. I stink at machine quilting. And it stresses me out to no end. Especially since I spend a lot of quality time cutting, trimming and piecing. I just want to quilt without wanting to wring my quilt within an inch of it's life. lol I know, practice makes perfect.

https://beechtreelanehandmade.com/20...hine-quilting/

Last edited by Judith1005; 11-09-2016 at 04:39 PM.
Old 11-09-2016, 06:28 PM

I find it easier to FMQ than to stitch in the ditch.
Old 11-10-2016, 05:45 AM

I am like Pocoellie, I have more control with FMQ than with SID. I love straight line quilting but also is so much easier than stitch in the ditch IMHO!
Old 11-10-2016, 05:57 AM

I was having that problem too & I'd been using a walking foot & my quilt was spray basted well. I read a tip that suggested to ease up the pressure on the pressure foot & that worked well for me.
Old 11-10-2016, 08:45 AM

Recently on the Singer Featherweight site a member posted that she uses the zipper foot (the kind that has a moveable ankle on it) and lowers the pressure on the top and finds that stitching slowly she has more visibility and control for SID. I haven't tried it yet, but it is worth considering. When I start SID I think it's going along pretty good...but then I come to where my seams are pressed in the opposite direction... and I end up with a zig and a zag where I don't want them.