Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilting ideas for flying geese >

quilting ideas for flying geese

quilting ideas for flying geese

Old 11-12-2013, 05:14 PM

Default quilting ideas for flying geese

I'm about ready to quilt a top with a set of 3 flying geese in each block, plus some added larger triangles around the block. Need ideas/pictures to quilt these. I don't want to have to pass over that many thick-seamed intersections. Any help appreciated! Tried a search, but didn't show up much....or maybe I just don't know how to search. LOL
Old 11-12-2013, 11:32 PM

Sounds like continuous curves would work for you. Those are stitched kind of like the traditional straight lines a quarter inch all around inside a piece, but are curves instead of straight lines, with the ends stopping at the intersections. The curve just bumps into and right out of the intersection to make the next curve. If you experiment with paper and pencil (or dry erase marker on clear vinyl overtop a sketch of the piecing), you can work out the best route to machine quilt the continuous curves to minimize stops and starts.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:06 AM

Red face

Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy View Post
Sounds like continuous curves would work for you. Those are stitched kind of like the traditional straight lines a quarter inch all around inside a piece, but are curves instead of straight lines, with the ends stopping at the intersections. The curve just bumps into and right out of the intersection to make the next curve. If you experiment with paper and pencil (or dry erase marker on clear vinyl overtop a sketch of the piecing), you can work out the best route to machine quilt the continuous curves to minimize stops and starts.
Thank you, I have seen what you're talking about, but just didn't know if I could make those nice curves or not. I will do as you suggested and PRACTICE. I always have to practice anything different to get the rhythm into my brain. But, I'm open to any more suggestions, also.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:20 AM
Power Poster

Assuming you are machine quilting?? If you are more comfortable doing a meander you can do a small one (microstipple) in the background, Like I did here (granted my block is a curvy FG with more than 3 geese to the block but the principal is still the same):
[ATTACH=CONFIG]446656[/ATTACH]

Or how about this idea from Carla Barrett:
http://featheredfibers.wordpress.com...ss-sneak-peek/

It is difficult to offer suggestions without knowing exactly what technique you are planning to use and what your skill set is.
Attached Thumbnails batik-block-micro-stipple.jpg  
Old 11-13-2013, 07:34 AM

I love the Carla Barrett idea. I have a WIP which I will eventually have to quilt and this would be perfect for some of the blocks. I'll just have to figure out how to alter it for the other blocks.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post

Or how about this idea from Carla Barrett:
http://featheredfibers.wordpress.com...ss-sneak-peek/

It is difficult to offer suggestions without knowing exactly what technique you are planning to use and what your skill set is.
Thanks you, so much. The Carla Barrett design on the flying geese is what I'll do!! I can do that. Thank you for suggesting it and giving me the website. And, your quilt is gorgeous!!!
Old 11-13-2013, 09:36 AM

Feline Fanatic, I really like how you made those geese stand at attention. Very pretty quilt and quilting.