Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Quilting Ideas for a scrap quilt

Quilting Ideas for a scrap quilt

I have a baby quilt (45x60), yes, I make them big to fit in the cribs and then on toddler beds. Anyway, it is just squares sewn together. I think they are 4" squares. I need to have it quilted by Thursday, and probably won't get started on quilting it until tomorrow. I have it sandwiched all together. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Power Poster
    Can you trace and enlarge one of the motifs in the fabric for a quilt design? If not, how about quilting yellow ducky outlines in the squares? Stars or hearts are a cute quilt patterns for baby quilts too.

Blog Entries
    You could definately do cross hatch quilting. I have done this on my last 2 baby quilts which were mainly just squares sewn together. I really like the look and it goes pretty quickly!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Blog Entries
    Have you ever thought of using a double needle and then crosshatching? Another idea would be to lengthen the 3 point zigzag stitch so that you get a narrow serpentine stitch and crosshatch with that.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    I donate quilts to the AAQI.

A double needle and cross hatching will leave the back of the quilt looking kinda sloppy, I'd think.

Maybe do a large meander or other overall design for the quilting. I find I don't like doing SID that much.

ali
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

I think it all depends on my how time you want to devote to it and how experienced you are and what you want to do. I stitched by the ditch on several of these which are 4" scrappy squares. I really liked how they turned out.Name:  smaller green blue scrappy.JPG
Views: 3675
Size:  262.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
    You could definately do cross hatch quilting. I have done this on my last 2 baby quilts which were mainly just squares sewn together. I really like the look and it goes pretty quickly!
    Can u pls post a pic of that. I am still learning how to use my rulers with the long arm and that is something I want to try on some scrappy quilt. Thanks
    Faten
    Work like you don't need the money
    Love like youÂ’ve never been hurt

justflyingin, I really like your quilt. What kind of batting did you use? I haven't decided what I am doing yet, but this may be an idea.

the twin needle idea may be a good idea. Will have to play with it and see if I like it.

justflyingin...I like the "stitch by the ditch" idea. Your quilt looks great.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast