Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The quilting industry today as compared to the mid 80's-early 90's >

The quilting industry today as compared to the mid 80's-early 90's

The quilting industry today as compared to the mid 80's-early 90's

Old 04-25-2014, 12:48 PM

It's hard to pay $12-14 per yard for fabric. I was looking at a catalog with fat quarters. $39.98 for 10 fat quarters. 10 are the same as 2 1/2 yards. That is way toooooooooooo expensive for me.
Old 04-25-2014, 01:39 PM

I have been going through my stash prior to moving and I have to say a lot of the fabrics from back in the 80's and 90's were great quality. Some of them seem to be artificially stiff and they mostly seem to be dark green. Don't know why. But most of them are great, maybe it is just that the quilters who gave me their scraps, bought good quality fabric.

Most of my scraps are so "vintage" that they are "Made in USA".

When I started quilting, it was either hand quilting or tying. I did hand quilting so I was able to offer something different from most of the quilts that were sold in Vermont. Then the imported quilts came in and had a big impact on the market.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:12 PM

Apologies for bumping an older thread, but I think this is an interesting topic. I wonder, too, if sites like Youtube have made quilting more accessible, especially to younger generations. While my first experience with quilting was taking a class through the local high school, I probably wouldn't have continued with quilting/sewing if it weren't for these videos that for me, make it much easier to learn things on my own.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:30 AM

I have only been a quilter for about 2 years, but the amount of new fabric lines that come out is astonishing, so I must assume that something is happening. The internet has changed everything for those of us who like to make things. Online shops, blogs, classes, forums like this gives us the opportunity to learn so much on our own schedules. You can live out in the country, have little or no access to transportation and still participate in ways that were never possible. The big quilt shows are huge, new ones popping up. It may be a flash in the pan, but at the moment - without seeing any actual facts - looks to me like quilting is big. And, look at how many new books are coming out all the time. I'm lovin' it!