Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting insights needed please >

Quilting insights needed please

Quilting insights needed please

Old 11-25-2012, 11:19 AM

Default Quilting insights needed please

Hello all,
I was just wondering if I can get a couple insights from you all. I have had a Janome 1600P on my 10' Grace frame since Jan 2012, I am not sure if mine is considered a mid arm or short arm? Anyway I have 8 plastic patterns from Grace for my frame called Pattern Perfect's...well the pin that attaches to my machine broke so I can not lock it into my pattern and pull it along until I buy a new one.
-So my question is, I am debating on even buying a new pin or if I should just continue to practice my free hand quilting?? Some days I think I do really good at my free motion, then some days not so good...
-How long did it take you to master feathers,sippling, and the fancy stuff?
-Are there any tricks to this trade of doing everything freehand? Or its just practice, practice, practice...Thanks

- My dream one day is to quilt quilts for people, I just don't have the confidence yet to try do anything without a plastic pattern perfect template on someone else's quilt.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:42 PM

I have a 1600P on a HandiQuilter frame. I am still at the random meander stage and have done maybe 6 quilts that way. I haven't put intense effort and practice at doing anything else though.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:48 PM
Power Poster

We all learn in different ways, and we wind up with different skills. I never practiced meandering at all, and started in on swirls and feathers. Many people start on pantographs, but I've never done one. Whatever you decide to do, it really is the practice that is needed to show improvement. So if you want to do feathers and the "fancy stuff", that's what you should practice.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:14 PM

that is what i have as a set up. i tried the patterns they sent with to follow i just couldnt
do that so i just practiced and practiced free hand. i like that much better but
just keep praticing. it takes time.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:10 PM

I have also heard that quilters will sort of scribble or quilt on a warm up piece before they start quilting each morning.