Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilting label >

quilting label

quilting label

Old 03-03-2012, 03:25 PM

I've done several things - I have hand embroidered two, but it takes too long for my taste. I've done many with a pigma pen, which works well but if I don't format the wording on a printer and then trace, my handwriting is a little sloppy looking. I also have a book of iron-on transfer labels, and they are cute, but sometimes not exactly what I'm looking for. Most recently, I got a bunch of little alphabet stamps and a Versacraft ink pad (special ink for fabric; heat set and it is permanent), and I've been stamping my labels. It is more time consuming than writing, but fun, and looks more professional. I can stamp little flowers or butterflies or whatever on there, too, and color them with fabric markers. This is my new favorite way. It costs more than embroidery or pigma pens (the ink pads and the stamps, fabric pens, etc.) but less than buying an inkjet printer.

I usually put who the quilt is for, the occasion, if there is one, my name, and the date (month/year)
Old 03-29-2012, 06:53 AM

I have been making quilt labels by embroidering with my Bernina 440, but recently the machine is having problems with embroidery. I am confused as to whether stand alone embroidery machines like Brother and Janome can do multi line text. Does anyone know?
Old 03-29-2012, 07:08 AM

My friend Cindi has written two excellent tutorials on quilt labels. The first is a quilt care label, which instructs the receiver of the quilt in how to care for it. You can adapt this tutorial to add your info such as name, state, etc.

http://www.seamstobeyouandme.com/wor...abel-tutorial/

The second tutorial shows you how to make a QR code label for your quilt. Anyone with a smart phone can scan the code and find a wealth of information about the quilt, such as the pattern and fabrics used, when it was made, and who it belongs to in case it was lost.

http://www.seamstobeyouandme.com/wor...uilt-qr-codes/
Old 03-29-2012, 08:44 AM

I embroider my label information directly on my quilt backing before it is quilted.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:21 AM

I have a yard of muslin washed and ready for this. Freezer paper, a pigma pen and a few colored markers for coloring any drawings and I'm all set. I use a phrase, the occasion, the date and my name. Then I turn the edges under and blanket stitch it to the quilt with pretty perle embroidery thread. Not as professional as making one on a machine, but handwritng has personal value.