Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Labels on Quilts you Gift..... >

Quilting Labels on Quilts you Gift.....

Quilting Labels on Quilts you Gift.....

Old 03-02-2011, 12:33 PM

I've never been one to label my gifts, but my DH chides me on this saying that in the years to come folks will want to remember where something came from. When I do bead weaving I now weave in my initials somewhere and made up little labels on the printer for other items. My quilted items I make little labels with my name and the date. I have some beautiful items that I know my grandmother made, but they have no labels and I want to be sure that my son knows where they came from. They are a part of who we are and there is so much of us in each article we should leave a little note to let our friends and family know how much we loved them.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:42 AM

I always put a label on my quilts. That way they always remeber me LOL
Old 03-03-2011, 02:46 AM

I never used to add labels either and I have made and sold thousands of quilts but just recently my daughter said mom be sure and put a label on this one so that when you are gone she will always remember where it came from. so now I do"
Old 03-03-2011, 04:11 AM

You should label all of them.... How many antique quilts have you seen showcased saying "Quilter Unknown"?
Old 03-03-2011, 04:19 AM

Making a label for our quits is important. Just Monday at quit guild a lady brought a pretty "round robin" quilt she had made yrs ago with several other guid members and no date-or who was involved-she wished now that she had done that. Down the road the information is nice to have.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:33 AM

I never did put quilt labels on my quilts, BUT, I just finished one for my granddaughter, and put a small embroidered label made with backing material with her initials and the year. I don't feel comfortable putting my initials on the quilt,well, it is a gift. I put it on the top side near the edge.

Originally Posted by debbieumphress
I have never put labels on any of my quilts I gave to family or friends. I think I will make them up and sew them on as I visit them.... Never thought about it's meaning until reading on the board. Does everyone do this?
My sis has n embroider machine she has sitting and not using. Well, I have a good use for it. She is going to teach me how to use it. It has a whole wall of thread and everything needed. Something new to learn.

Is it important to label our gift quilts?
Old 03-03-2011, 05:15 AM

I always put labels on the quilts that I gift. It was suggested to me to put who it is to, who it is from, the date and city and state, and any info about the occasion such as grad. anniv. etc. The lady that suggested this was in the habit of purchasing old, old quilts. The ones that were the most interesting to her were the ones that had some of that info. on them.

Our church quilt group puts a small label on the back of our quilts and walker bags. Pastor recently had an email from out of state about one of our walker bags. This lady got one on a walker at a second hand shop. She thought we should know how nice it is and that when she is done with the walker she will share it and the bag with someone else.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:22 AM

I think its important to label your quilts because 60 years from now I want whoever ends up with my quilts to know how old they are, who made them and for whom I made them......old quilts can be quite expensive, either buying or selling, dates & places & names makes them more valuable.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:23 AM

Years ago I was involved in a quilt documentation project in my county. We were always thrilled when there was a label on writing on the quilts. The information provided was priceless. Since I belong to two guilds I have gotten in the habit of putting a label on the back of at least my bed size quilts. I now own two embroidery machines but before I make a label on one of them I actually use permanent markers to write on the back of the quilt if the fabric is light enough to be able to see. I figure if I mess up then I can sew a label over top of the mistake. It also means that if someone were to steal the quilt they would have to cut the labeled part out.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:31 AM

I had some small ones made that say" handmade especially for you by Stephanie" and i sew it on the backside bottom corner.