Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting larger quilts in sections? >

Quilting larger quilts in sections?

Quilting larger quilts in sections?

Old 08-23-2011, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by GGinMcKinney
I bought Marti's book today. It was at JoAnn's for 30% off. My queen quilt with sides to the floor (over sized queen) is ready to quilt. 1) I must practice FMQ-it has been a while 2) I needed a managable size.
Marti has several methods. One similar to described above you divide into thirds, quilt the middle, splice the batting, turn the quilt around and quilt what was to the left of the center (it was not under the machine harp so it was out of the way-no need to trim the batting), then the 3rd side you reattached the batting, then quilt.
This sounds perfect for my quilt. First is practice. I may use this technique on a table runner I am piecing just to see how it all fits together, then go for the quilt. Table runner is for me while the quilt is a gift and I want it to be special.
If you don't mind would you please let me know how the method worked for you on the runner?
Old 08-23-2011, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan
this is the back of a king size siggy quilt i did that way. i happened to want to use up some fabric but only had it in three colors or i would have used all the same.
It seemed to have worked very nicely for you. Thanks for sharing your quilt. :-)
Old 08-23-2011, 03:54 AM

I just ordered the book from Joann and found some online coupons. Here's the link if anyone else would like to purchase it. http://www.couponcabin.com/coupons/joann-fabric/