Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting longarm sewing machine >

Quilting longarm sewing machine

Quilting longarm sewing machine

Old 01-23-2011, 05:13 PM

I'm thinking about buying a quilting machine.
If you have one please let me know how you like yours, and how hard it is to operate.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:30 PM
Power Poster

Hi Tamara,
Welcome to the board.
I have an ABM Innova 26" throat. I took a very basic class at a LQS on an HQ16. I liked the Innova a lot better. Just seemed to glide more smoothly and the frame is set up so you don't have to adjust machine as the quilt sandwich grows on the take up bar. I think Gammels you have to do that, but not positive. I love my Innova. I got it this summer and did not have a stash of unquilted tops to quilt so I have done a practice sandwich and 2 quilts on it. I have a T-shirt quilt loaded on the frame right now. I find it easy to use but like anything takes practice. You should always try to test drive some longarms before deciding. Hopefully there are dealers near you or quilt shops that offer lessons and maybe rental time. You can also look at You Tube videos of longarms in action to help you narrow down your decision.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:48 PM
Banned

I also have a 26 inch INNOVA! Best machine on the market! LOL
Old 01-23-2011, 06:50 PM

Hi, I have a HQ16 with the computer. I attended a quilt fest and tried out several. One of the things that sold me on the machine was that they came to my home and set the machine & table up and trained me to use the machine. Also, since I am not a young chick some of the machines where heavy awkward to move around. You will have things you want on machine so that will determine alot as to which machine you pick. It does take a lot of practice on any machine. But it is well worth the effort. Happy hunting.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:12 PM

I have an innova and went to an expo and tried them all out before one got picked. It seemed to be the best for the price. It might be worth it to see if you will be having one around you(we had to drive across the state:) ) so you can ask questions about them and try them all out so you can see for yourself.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:14 PM

I bought a used Gammill Optimum with Intellistitch. Try out several and buy the best that will fit your budget. They are a lot of fun, but be prepared for a learning curve that goes on as long as you quilt - part of the fun.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:48 PM
Power Poster

26" Innova here, love it. Test drive a bunch of them, compare the features and the prices.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:01 AM

Thanks I will look into it, I'm not sure if there are any dealers in my area. I'm in a very small town.
all of this info really helps so thank you all so very much.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:34 AM

Gammill Premier Plus on a 12' frame. It's smooth as silk. I'm happy that it has been maintenance free (after 1 year). We have been able to figure out tension, changing needles, oiling, general cleaning etc. It is very easy to operate!
Old 01-24-2011, 11:42 AM

I bought an HQ16 five years ago and wouldn't buy another one again. They mailed it to me right to my doorstep and that's it. I have had no training at all, just what I've picked up from the net or books and such.
Maybe the newer ones are better so I would test many kinds before buying.