Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilting on a longarm??? >

quilting on a longarm???

quilting on a longarm???

Old 03-12-2014, 01:45 PM

Default quilting on a longarm???

I have a nustyle longarm it does not have any bells or whistles just plain jane. I have been quilting on it for about one year now and would like to try pantos and work from the back. It has a pointer thing to follow the patterns just hoping someone could give me some pointers on what to look out for I am really kinda scared of trying it, I know that is stupid. so maybe just some encouragement
Old 03-12-2014, 01:53 PM
Power Poster

load up a practice quilt - maybe 2 pieces of muslin with a batting- then thread *top & bobbin* with a good contrasting thread~ so you can see it well top & bottom~ lay your pattern out on the table- then, using the stylus locate the highest point of the pattern on your quilt- then the lowest point- making sure both points are 'reachable' within your stitching area- adjust the pattern until you have both points lined up. when all is lined up and you are ready- put on some music with a good *feel*, take a deep breath & start sewing. don't worry about staying exactly on the lines- just follow them as close as you can- smoothly- no one will know if you veer off- once you unload- they will not see the pattern only the finished product. relax- and work on being smooth & consistent. when you reach the end & roll the quilt- again check your placement so you don't overlap the previous row- or leave too big of a gap between rows. once you do a few practice quilts you will be able to do most any pattern (if you decide you like the process.)
Old 03-12-2014, 02:05 PM

thank you for your information I will give it a try do you use pantos?? if so do you like them? The only thing I have done is fmq so far.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:13 PM

If you find you like doing pantos from the back, I would see if you can switch out the pointer for a laser light. I think you'd like following the pattern with a light much better. And many times the laser light can be improved on, if the red dot is large, by taping a piece of blue painter's tape over the lighted end, and puncturing it in the center with a fine pin. Then the red light will be smaller, improving your accuracy. If you can't switch out to a laser light, and your pointer is thick, you can switch that out for a smaller diameter pointer for better accuracy. I have known quilters to use a length of metal clothes hanger for that. Try not to stress, have fun, and enjoy! A couple of tips: it helps to keep your motions smooth if you look ahead to the next point, and concentrate on making your motion (from here to there) the half moon, S curve, straight line, etc. that's ahead of you. When you hit a point, don't linger too long or you'll have a build up of stitches at the point. But don't cut the point short---make sure you hit it or you'll have a stitch across the point, squaring it off. I like to think of a ping pong ball hitting a wall and bouncing off , and hit my points like that. Hope this helps. My apologies if you already know all this, as you do have experience with your machine.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:20 PM
Power Poster

newbee, thanks for asking this question. and thanks to ck and justabit for the comprehensive answers. i've not tried pantos yet, and you've given me some confidence to try.
Old 03-12-2014, 04:09 PM

If you want to try the laser light vs pointer, for $5 Harbour Freight has a small light that can attach by sticky back, or screws to your machine/trolley - if the light tip is too big, do as previously suggested to tape over it and put a pinpoint hole in it. For $5 you can try without a huge investment. Might be cheaper to buy another light vs cost of replacing the batteries when it wears out. I was still using my first one when I sold the set up, including machine.(The light is meant to be a guide for a circular saw when following a line on a piece of wood)
The light is much easier to position vs the pointer
Old 03-12-2014, 07:01 PM

thanks to all of you I will check out the light for that price I could not go wrong.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:27 PM

I use a laser and it does require practice when you first start doing it. Even now I do practice runs (machine not on..just going over the pattern ) before I start the actual quilting as I don't use them that often. The dry runs help you loosen up a little which will make your curves smoother. Once you use them you'll love them. I can move the laser to the front of the machine and use block patterns which is nice. Did that a lot when I quilted for others. Even drew up some patterns of my own to fit/go with the quilt that I was working on at the time.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:43 PM

The advice from previous posts is excellent, set up practice pieces and go for it.