Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilting on a machine >

quilting on a machine

quilting on a machine

Old 10-18-2009, 03:42 AM

Great idea.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:15 AM
Power Poster

Prism...I always struggle with trying to decide how to place the batting. Not only can I not tell how the grainline is running...I don't know how to tell which side should be up and which should be down! :oops:
Old 10-18-2009, 06:29 AM

Prisim
You said six inches for the curves. It that to the left and right? How deep do you make the curves? That is up and down.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:33 PM

I am currently putting together a quilt for which I have already quilted the blocks. I put the right sides (tops of blocks) together and match points. I sew through all layers except one backing fabric layer, stopping stitching about 1/2" from each end of block.

Trim the batting, but not the backing. Lay the two sewn blocks flat, right sides down. Smooth the sewn seam allowance to one side.

Fold the seam allowance under on the unsewn backing. It will be larger than normal. Pin it so that the fold extends over the previous line of stitching.

Turn over so that tops are up. Stitch in the ditch between the two blocks, reaching under quilt to remove pins. Again, stop 1/2 inch from the end of each piece. This is so that rows of blocks can be sewn together and borders can be added later. (Sew all borders together, then add to quilt.)

Start with a few scraps of fabric sandwiches for practice and you'll see how it goes. Not hard at all. This method was taught me in my first quilt class by none other than Judy Murrah of Jacket Jazz fame!
Old 10-18-2009, 06:20 PM

Has anyone tried the cotton theory method. ?
She makes beautiful quilts. You can view some of her method on sewing with Nancy Website.

Happy sewing.
Old 10-18-2009, 10:58 PM

Hi Lisa:

I'm a Wanna-Be also and have only stitched a few bedspreads in certain theme fabrics that the kids wanted as they were growing up. Those involved a bit of quilting that I just kind of made up as I went.

I LOVE the Fun & Done link you posted and am eager to try this.

I haven't even intro'd myself, and will do that soon. I have a quilt story to tell. Thanks again for the link. I love this board!

Sitty Mouse
Old 10-20-2009, 04:46 AM

Good Morning! Machine quilting on my home sewing machine is very rewarding. I have three things that come to mind immediately. After the quilt is quartered of with a grid of wash-a-way thread I scrunch it up around the needle and make a "nest" to work in. I find it important to keep it all supported on a table so the weight doesn't pull at it while I'm working. And I use a "Super Slider" and quilting gloves so that the quilt slides on the machine bed very easily, and the gloves help give me lots of control.

Happy Quilting!
Old 10-22-2009, 06:23 AM

This is my first one. I made 7.5" x 8.5" one piece blocks. Ironed them on to a 12 x 12 white block with wonderunder. Then I sewed them together side by side. Then I quilted them. Now I have to go back and put in solid color blocks to finish off the remainder of the quilt. Thanks Granny