Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting macine question >

Quilting macine question

Quilting macine question

Old 02-18-2011, 08:16 AM

I am new at quilting and only have done block quilts, would like to learn more. Not really sure what kind of machine I need , I have a pfaff 1471 old one but still works and a consew power machine, can I use them to quilt or can any of you give me advice on a new machine? Thanks
Old 02-18-2011, 09:21 AM
Power Poster

Most of us here quilt on domestic machines, meaning the typical machine for home use. You don't have to purchase a longarm in order to machine quilt even very large quilts.

The biggest limitation on using a home machine is the harp size. This is the area between the needle and the right hand side of the machine that limits how much quilt sandwich you can stuff in there. Most machines can handle a twin-size bed quilt if the batting is not too thick; I loosely accordion-pleat the quilt in there.

For very large quilts, it can be a good idea to split up the batting to cut down on bulk under the machine's arm. Marti Michel has a book out on how to do this, although I first saw the method described in detail in one of Debra Wagner's books. Basically you layer the quilt as usual, fold back top and backing out of the way, and "S"-cut the batting into thirds. You baste and quilt the middle third of the quilt first. Without the batting under the machine arm, it is easier to do this. Once the middle is quilted, you re-attach one side of the batting, baste that side together, and quilt that side. Do the same on the other. The result is a large quilt that has been completely machine-quilted on a domestic machine, with no clues that it was done in sections.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:23 AM

You can pretty much quilt on any machine you can get the quilt through the throat. There are folks on here who have quilted queen size quilts on tiny little machines.

As a beginner, smaller quilts are easier to manipulate. A walking foot helps for any straight line quilting or even gentle curves. If you want to learn FMQ, make up practice squares and give it a go. There are many, many helpful FMQ videos on youtube.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:10 AM
Power Poster

you can use any machine in good working condition. you do not need anything special to make good quilts, only the desire, motivation and gumption to do it...and practice. plenty of people use their grandmothers old singer, or an old treadle, a $89 brother from walmart or a $5000 viking from a dealer is going to make the same great quilts...as long as the machine stitches a nice consistant stitch nothing else really matters...the rest is just (icing on the cake)
Old 02-18-2011, 11:14 AM
Power Poster

For "regular" sewing machines, the quilt-as-you-go method is a good one, particularly if the machine only has a regular-sized throat opening (harp).

If you have a darning foot (or quilting foot) for yours, then you can either drop the feed dogs, or cover them over, and do free-motion quilting on your machine.