Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Magazines/they are piling up! >

Quilting Magazines/they are piling up!

Quilting Magazines/they are piling up!

Old 01-13-2011, 06:28 AM

Sometimes I just wonder what I am thinking....looking at a large stack of magazines all about quilting or gardening. Enjoy reading and looking at the articles and wait for some to arrive in my mailbox. Then they go to a stack near the chair, from there to a stack in the sewing room, from there to a storage container. Sharing with the gals at quilting when the stacks get to high is often done. Now that there are so many on line magazines and the quilting board...I need to go into a 12 step program to stop renewing magazines. What do you do with yours???? Step #1 was to admit I am addicted to these colorful paper temptations.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:37 AM

I LOVE quilting magazines, too, and what I did was go through & cut out the patterns & articles I knew I wanted to keep and put them into a sheet protector & then a 3-ring binder. Tossed the rest, which was hard for me but felt great after.

I knew there were a lot of quilts in there that I would never want to attempt to make. Saved a LOT of space. In fact, I just pulled out a really cute miniature quilt pattern last week from my binder. Worked great!

Trina
Old 01-13-2011, 06:37 AM

I was lucky enough to pm in time to get a "free friend subscription" on here but due to the economy I've let all my subscriptions expire. I figure that if I do one quilt from each magazine that I have I'll still have to live to be 283 to use them all. I buy those plastic magazine holders at thrift stores and garage sales and have shelves and shelves full of them. But I love browsing my magazines. I don't know, I might think about thinning them out sometime this year.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:39 AM

I also love my quilting magazines......and I also hang on to my quilting catalogs..beautiful pics of quilt patterns..
like Connecting Threads..look at them over and over
Old 01-13-2011, 06:39 AM

I have mine in pretty cardboard magazine holders. I keep each one opened to a quilt or technique I want to try. Occasionally, I downsize them by tearing out the patterns I am interested in and putting those into a binder. What's really interesting to me is to look back at the things I Thought I wanted to make (or actually Did make), and realize that I've come a long way Baby! well, errr, ummm... at least a Short way. :-)
Old 01-13-2011, 06:42 AM

This can be a problem. In my quilt guild, the members bring magazines that they have read and put them on a sharing table. Anyone that wants to get one or more pick them up and bring them back when they're done. Every month there are things to look at and take home. When I moved from that area, I contributed several items. It's a great way to pass around things that another can use. I have a couple that I've kept.... I want to make a quilt from them. The others have all been recycled again.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:52 AM

It is so nice to know that I am in good company!
Old 01-13-2011, 07:06 AM

I have not renewed any subscriptions for the last year and don't plan to subscribe to anymore, mainly because there is soooo much info and patterns online.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:11 AM

My husband bought me a Nook Color so I could subscribe to my quilting mags and store them on the Nook. For some reason, none of the quilting magazines are using the format to make them available that way yet. Anybody know anything about this?
Old 01-13-2011, 07:13 AM

It's hard for me to pass up the racks that hold quilting magazines! I've got 'the bug, for sure. The other day I actually purchased one that has 3 things I'm sure I'll be making! That's my new rule....if it doesn't have anything I know that I will make...I drool and then put it back! I also give well used magazines to my churches Community Service Center where we have what some people call the "Free Store"!
An awesome place to take used articles of all kinds that others can come take for their use. (We try to encourage them to donate unwanted articles as well!)