Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Quilting method for strip quilt

I finished a king size strip quilt last summer and haven't quilted it mostly because I really don't know which method of quilting would look best, FMQ, SID, etc. Since it is such a large quilt and I have not mastered FMQ, I would have a LA do it for me, which really does not present a problem. If SID is more attractive, acceptable, would a LA charge more (is this considered "custom"). If this is the case, I would have to opt for doing it myself (ah me!) Thanks for your suggestions.
    Lena

I finished an almost twin size 2-1/2" strip quilt for my GD for Christmas. Forgot to take a picture of it. Anyway, I started at one end and hand quilted each row 1/4" above the strip seam. It still kept the crispness of a modern looking quilt. The strips were 6 small prints in clear colors of blue and green, separated by a white on white strip.

Blog Entries
    It would definitely cost more where I live to have SID, but other places may be different.

I wish you could detail how you made the strip quilt. Iam interested in making one.

I used the "Super fast jelly roll quilt" tutorial from the tutorial section of the quilting Board. It is fast and easy. I didn't use jelly rolls, I cut my own strips - works fine!!

Blog Entries
    I've been thinking about quilting my strip quilt too. I'll be interested in what others say about the best pattern.

It's alway personal preference of course, but I really like an overall pantograph design on strip quilts! I did a few for the local quilt guild recently. Unfortunately, I didn't take a picture. I delivered them to a meeting just yesterday and everyone there really liked the designs! The quilting tends to show up more in the lighter colored fabric areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Texasjunebug
    I finished an almost twin size 2-1/2" strip quilt for my GD for Christmas. Forgot to take a picture of it. Anyway, I started at one end and hand quilted each row 1/4" above the strip seam. It still kept the crispness of a modern looking quilt. The strips were 6 small prints in clear colors of blue and green, separated by a white on white strip.
    This really sounds nice and I wish you had a picture. Hand quilting leaves me out of the running - completely. I do not like any kind of hand sewing. I can probably do this technique by machine, though??? Thanks for your reply.

Quote Originally Posted by stewyscrewy
    I like to see curvy or circles or swirls on such straight line quilt tops. s.i.d. cost as mush as a full custom on most places.Free motion is simple the easiest and cheapest in my book.
    Thanks for your input! I have taken another look at my quilt top and can visualize a very attractive finish with swirls.

Quote Originally Posted by quilttiludrop
    It's alway personal preference of course, but I really like an overall pantograph design on strip quilts! I did a few for the local quilt guild recently. Unfortunately, I didn't take a picture. I delivered them to a meeting just yesterday and everyone there really liked the designs! The quilting tends to show up more in the lighter colored fabric areas.
    For some reason, I had blocked my mind from visualizing ANY kind of pattern, thinking only of the linear design of the strips. I now realize that SID would be kind of boring on such a large quilt and am looking forward to seeing some "real" quilting on it. Thanks for your note.