Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting method for strip quilt >

Quilting method for strip quilt

Quilting method for strip quilt

Old 01-09-2011, 11:21 AM

I finished a king size strip quilt last summer and haven't quilted it mostly because I really don't know which method of quilting would look best, FMQ, SID, etc. Since it is such a large quilt and I have not mastered FMQ, I would have a LA do it for me, which really does not present a problem. If SID is more attractive, acceptable, would a LA charge more (is this considered "custom"). If this is the case, I would have to opt for doing it myself (ah me!) Thanks for your suggestions.
Lena
Old 01-09-2011, 11:28 AM

I finished an almost twin size 2-1/2" strip quilt for my GD for Christmas. Forgot to take a picture of it. Anyway, I started at one end and hand quilted each row 1/4" above the strip seam. It still kept the crispness of a modern looking quilt. The strips were 6 small prints in clear colors of blue and green, separated by a white on white strip.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:35 AM
Power Poster

It would definitely cost more where I live to have SID, but other places may be different.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:18 PM

I wish you could detail how you made the strip quilt. Iam interested in making one.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:03 PM

I used the "Super fast jelly roll quilt" tutorial from the tutorial section of the quilting Board. It is fast and easy. I didn't use jelly rolls, I cut my own strips - works fine!!
Old 01-09-2011, 03:05 PM

I've been thinking about quilting my strip quilt too. I'll be interested in what others say about the best pattern.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:06 PM

It's alway personal preference of course, but I really like an overall pantograph design on strip quilts! I did a few for the local quilt guild recently. Unfortunately, I didn't take a picture. I delivered them to a meeting just yesterday and everyone there really liked the designs! The quilting tends to show up more in the lighter colored fabric areas.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Texasjunebug
I finished an almost twin size 2-1/2" strip quilt for my GD for Christmas. Forgot to take a picture of it. Anyway, I started at one end and hand quilted each row 1/4" above the strip seam. It still kept the crispness of a modern looking quilt. The strips were 6 small prints in clear colors of blue and green, separated by a white on white strip.
This really sounds nice and I wish you had a picture. Hand quilting leaves me out of the running - completely. I do not like any kind of hand sewing. I can probably do this technique by machine, though??? Thanks for your reply.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by stewyscrewy
I like to see curvy or circles or swirls on such straight line quilt tops. s.i.d. cost as mush as a full custom on most places.Free motion is simple the easiest and cheapest in my book.
Thanks for your input! I have taken another look at my quilt top and can visualize a very attractive finish with swirls.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by quilttiludrop
It's alway personal preference of course, but I really like an overall pantograph design on strip quilts! I did a few for the local quilt guild recently. Unfortunately, I didn't take a picture. I delivered them to a meeting just yesterday and everyone there really liked the designs! The quilting tends to show up more in the lighter colored fabric areas.
For some reason, I had blocked my mind from visualizing ANY kind of pattern, thinking only of the linear design of the strips. I now realize that SID would be kind of boring on such a large quilt and am looking forward to seeing some "real" quilting on it. Thanks for your note.