Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Quilting Motif for Pinwheel Block

I am ready to quilt my first quilt and would like suggestions for quilting a pinwheel block. I don't want to detract from the pattern and since I am teaching myselft via the web I am clueless. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

Generally speaking, the least detracting way to quilt is to "stitch in the ditch", which means to quilt in the seams of your pattern. This allows the loft of the batting to let the pattern rise up out of the background. Anything that you want to recede could be quilted with a grid pattern, or mendering, if you do machine quilting. Meandering is a squiggle all over the areas you want to recede. Happy quilting!

Could you post a picture of the quilt top so we could have a better idea?

Otherwise I agree with Norah.

This is a picture of quilt. It's one of those qom from wal-mart. i don't have a digital camera yet but here is the pattern
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Just a suggestion. If you put a ruler on the four-patches and draw a diagonal line 1/2 way between the two sets, you could quilt a diagonal grid through them. This is sometimes easier than quilting in the ditch.

For that I would stitch in the ditch. But if you really want the pinwheel to stand out and the sashing to recede you could try stitch in the ditch of the pinwheel and do small stippling or a zig-zag just on the sashing.

Good luck and let us see it when it's done.

joy
    For tndrsroni - The photo on your message.... the avatar.... what is the name of that block please...I have never seen it before....

It is called the guiding light. I don't know how to make the block. The picture came off the following quilt avatar site. Maybe someone here can use eq to make it???? I would love to know how to make it.

http://www.quiltsyourway.com/forums/misc.php?do=showavatars

Here is an EQ approximation of the avatar in a paper piecing pattern. It mixed up the darks and lights, but you get the idea.
    Debra

An EQ paper pieced approximation of tndrsroni's avatar called Guiding Light

Boo
    Again, quilter's to the rescue! Don't you just love how helpful and sharing everyone is? QUILTERS ROCK :!: :!: :!: