Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting my OBW >

Quilting my OBW

Quilting my OBW

Old 04-16-2013, 03:04 AM

Default Quilting my OBW

I just finished putting the border on my first OBW and now I'm have to decide how to do the quilting. The quilts in the OBW books look like they have an all over swirly type, the patterns on the quilts in this gallery are not visible to me. Anyone have any ideas? How did you quilt yours? I have to quilt on my DM. I do have a leaf design made for an 8 in block that I could use and make it look like an over all design.
thanks for your suggestions!
Old 04-16-2013, 03:49 AM

Hi - I've just finished the top of an OBW and about to decide on the quilting as well. Your leaf design might be just right - I've been thinking that circles would be too much.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:55 AM
Power Poster

Someone posted a whole page of deisns for quilting OBW on QB. Maybe someone will make a link to it for you?
Old 04-16-2013, 05:06 AM
Power Poster

When I first started quilting someone told me that if it's not going to show, don't spend a lot of time on the quilting pattern. Most OBWs are so busy, the quilting is going to get lost. I've always just done a meander.
Unspool some of the thread you are going to use on the quilt. If you can see the thread clearly, then go with your leaf.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:50 AM

I usually do FMQ ....but I have also stitched around some os the hexagons and then from the back,made a slit and inserted a layer or two of batting and then hand sew the slit closed...on the front you get a nice variation especially if you sew a decorative button in the center of the raised hexagons...the rest of the quilting is just stitched in the long diagonal lines....
Old 04-16-2013, 06:07 AM

I have made several OBW quilts and sewn them on my DM. My favorite way of quilting them is to swing out from the seam and then back in - sort of like a cathedral window. I do this to all the seams and as they join in the intersections they form a six point flower. So I just swerve a soft zig zag to the points all the way to the end of a row and then swerve all the way back up the row. I hope I described what I do in a way that is easy to understand.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:41 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Someone posted a whole page of deisns for quilting OBW on QB. Maybe someone will make a link to it for you?
Here you go - thanks to BuzzinBumble.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...s-t130422.html
Old 04-16-2013, 12:13 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Thanks, Dunster; what a great page! And, of course, could be used for other quilts, not just OBW!

Jan in VA
Old 04-16-2013, 01:48 PM

Thanks for the link, Dunster. I like the daisy chain one maybe.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:41 PM

YC - thanks for your nice comment on the OBW quilting designs. Gee that thread is almost 2 years old and that OBW was the first quilt i ever made. I was wondering why it suddenly revived today..LOL. I posted it was back when I had a very unclear idea of what an all over quilting design was. I think PaperPrincess is right in that you should do something simple because OBWs have so much design to them already. Hope you post your OBW on the QB when you finish it so we can all see it.