Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The quilting part of quilting - newbie question >

The quilting part of quilting - newbie question

The quilting part of quilting - newbie question

Old 09-01-2008, 01:31 PM

I was showing my DH some of the pictures in our picture section and saying in astonishment "how can people quilt like that?" and he says "they have machines for that".

:shock: Uh, what?

I thought machine quilting meant you used your sewing machine, and hand quilting meant you used a needle and thread.

Can someone elaborate for me? How do those machines work? Can you just use your sewing machine? I wasn't planning in investing in a new machine, at least not any time soon!

Please fill me in. What do you use to quilt?

Thanks ahead of time for the replies. You are all so wonderful and helpful on their board!
Old 09-01-2008, 01:54 PM
Administrator

there are computerized machines that automatically sew the quilting patterns. however, they cost bazillions of dollars.

the machine quilting you see here has not been done on one of those. what you see here has been done on everything from regular sewing machines to longarm machines mounted on frames. the quilters use the machines to create the patterns.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:04 PM

So you can do work with that on a regular sewing machine? Ha! I'll have to tell my DH that it can be done. Gives me hope that I can maybe do that some day too, with lots and lots and lots of practice I am sure!
Old 09-01-2008, 02:13 PM

gracie, gracie!!! He suggested a new machine.........hehehehehe.......go for it.......LOL! (J/K)

Linda D.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:31 PM

Hi Gracie, I quilt by hand and I just got me a Darning foot for my machine so that I can learn to do it on my machine( regular sewing machine) but I haven't tried it yet. Like you I will be asking a lot of questions and I know that these guy's will give me the best advise and I will learn how to do it.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:37 PM

Some of us do hand quilting. I have only done a couple on the machine.........just a regular machine...........but prefer hand quilting. I use a small frame that my dh made for me from PVC pipe. It is on legs, and the quilt needs to be moved as you do each section, just as you would a lap hoop. Most of mine are machine pieced however. I am working on a GFG at the present time that is hand pieced, and will be hand quilted. You'll have to try each and get a feel for your prefered method. Welcome to the quilting world. You'll be hooked in no time :)

Phyllis
Old 09-01-2008, 03:34 PM
Amy

Gracie,
I hand quilt............I cant seem to get into machine quilting. :roll:
Old 09-01-2008, 04:11 PM

Some people quilt by hand.
Some quilt their quilts on their regular sewing machine. I've done a king size - NEVER AGAIN!!!
Some people have purchased rail systems to use with their regular sewing machine or mid-arm sewing machines.
Some people send their quilts to be quilted by someone with a longarm machine.

I have a long arm. Here's a link that will give you an idea of what one looks like. The second link lets you see one in action.

http://www.a1quiltingmachines.com/products.php

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHma1...eature=related

I pieced tops for 10 years before I finally bit the bullet and bought my machine. DH said he was going to farm for another 20 years, so I decided it was time for a career change!

Old 09-01-2008, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by lfw045
gracie, gracie!!! He suggested a new machine.........hehehehehe.......go for it.......LOL! (J/K)

Linda D.
I didn't think of that! I'll say "you said I needed one of these!". :lol:
Old 09-01-2008, 04:16 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think that I'll probably start out by hand. Our house is really small, so I don't really have a space to set up anywhere, and I'd like to stay somewhat mobile.