Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting prices, good or what? >

Quilting prices, good or what?

Quilting prices, good or what?

Old 02-21-2014, 10:39 AM

Default Quilting prices, good or what?

I live in a rural area in southern Illinois in a town of about 15,000. This morning I went to a very small QS in a small town close by. I was talking about the cost of quiling and she gave the name of some folks that quilt. I was suprised at how cheaply I can have a quilt done. Their prices range from $25.00 for a baby quilt up to $60.00 for a king size, if you supply the batting and backing of course. She also had a sheet of paper with all their quilting designs to choose from. The woman at the quilt shop has used these people herself and she was very satified.
Soooooo what do you think? Aren't the prices very resonable or am I wrong in thinking so?
Old 02-21-2014, 10:43 AM
Power Poster

If they do a good job, that is a great price. Ask to see samples of their work to see if you like it.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:54 AM

This sounds too good to be true to me, although I have never used a long arm quilter so I have nothing with which to compare.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:06 AM

I think they sound like they are setting up their machine and letting it do the quilting. If it's a utility quilt, that's fine. If you want a more personalized design with feathers and such, the price would possibly be higher.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by M.Elizabeth View Post
This sounds too good to be true to me, although I have never used a long arm quilter so I have nothing with which to compare.
I thought the same thing when she gave me the price sheet. I will probably let them quilt a throw that I'm making and see how it goes.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:17 AM

Great price. Let them do one and see if you like the quality of their work.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:22 AM

Here is a price list from a small shop near us in Claremont, NH. I've used their service and they did a nice job. I really like the people - it's a mother/son team. Remember there are many factors such as experience of the quilters, local economy and so forth. This page is very open about what they do. If you want something special, or hand guided designs, you need to talk to the quilter. http://fourpinesquilting.com/machine_quilting.php
Old 02-21-2014, 12:49 PM

Silly me, I immediately thought WOW!! As a hand quilter I couldn't begin to match those prices. I keep forgetting that the majority of those who post on this site machine or long arm their quilts. I paid a member of my guild $150 to long arm a king size quilt I gave my step-daughter for her 20th wedding anniversary. I had purchased the top from a vendor at our guild quilt show. I think the quilting was just a simple over all meander. I supplied the batting and backing. I got my husband to pay for the quilting as it is his daughter. Her marriage broke up within a year of that anniversary.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:09 PM

I would go and look at sample of their work.. if its exceptable to you go for it, but do it with a small project first. Where I am in IL that is a fabulous price.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:11 PM

My SIL does long arm quilting and those prices are about what she charges if you supply the batting and backing material. And if you want alot of specialized quilting done, she'll charge a little more, but not much. We live a small town though and she has a full time job on top of quilting.