Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting problem and Warm & Natural batting >

Quilting problem and Warm & Natural batting

Quilting problem and Warm & Natural batting

Old 02-04-2017, 04:24 PM

Default Quilting problem and Warm & Natural batting

I'm having a quilting problem, which I think may be caused by the Warm and Natural batting I'm using. This is my first experience with this batting -- have always used polyester -- and it's giving me fits.

I'm quilting on my Brother 450Q Innov'is, usual settings, using a walking foot, All things I've done before with quilts as large as this one -- about 80x80 -- with no problem. But on this one the stitching bunches up, resulting in teeny tiny little miniscule stitches, especially if I get above a slow speed. I've adjusted the tension and the presser foot pressure; that doesn't seem to be the issue. I've even lengthened my stitch and my stitch width -- to 3.5 and 3.5 -- and still no joy. I've finally decided it maybe the weight of the quilt keeping it from moving forward as freely as it should.

My machine is not recessed into a table but sits on top (of my dining room table, not ideal, I know) , so there is a two inch lip the quilt has to "drag" over to get to the needle, and this seems to be enough to keep the fabric from moving forward freely. The quilt does seem unusually heavy but I assume that's because I'm used to the much lighter, less dense, polyester. It is supported everywhere; I don't allow any of it fall off the edge of the table but do have some of it in my lap.

I created a test piece -- same batting, same fabric, same thickness -- stitches are normal and consistent no matter my speed. Then I tried holding back on it, to create some "drag". And, yep, same little bunchy stitches. I did also wonder if the walking foot was not functioning properly, or the feed dogs, but if so, I'd think I'd have the same issues when sewing on the test piece.

I'm wondering if others have had this problem with Warm and Natural batting? Or any heavier batting? Because, while I'm fairly sure the weight is the cause, I'm not one percent certain. I prewashed the batting due to the shrinkage factor, and spray basted the sandwich. Piecing fabric and backing (Kona) are both normal weight cotton.

This quilt, of Union Jack blocks, was a Christmas gift to my Irish daughter in law, and I'm very afraid it's going to end up one hot mess. I've already done more ripping than I care to -- does anyone ever "care" to rip? -- and I'm afraid more is in my future. I am so wishing I'd quilted this by check!
Old 02-04-2017, 05:00 PM

I suspect it's quilt drag. Can you use a folding table or ironing board next to your sewing table to help support the quilt?
Old 02-04-2017, 05:07 PM

You found your problem. Your quilt needs to be supported on all
sides. If it's sitting in your lap it's causing drag just like if it's
falling off the table. I usually put an ironing board on my left
and I have a big table in front of my machine. Try working
from the centre and work your way out. If it's bunched up
on your lap, try to move some so it's free to go under the
needle...sew, move, stop, repeat.
I use Warm and Natural in most of my quilts. For big quilts
I try to quilt in sections because it can get quite heavy.
Something to consider for next time.
Old 02-04-2017, 05:21 PM

You need all of the quilt supported, any batting will do this if it's not supported. My last king project I ended up with two extra tables, my ironing board, and a couple tall stools to take all the weight and keep it from falling and dragging thru the machine. I primarily use poly too but I've had it fall and drag. Some famous quilter whose name escapes me has a pulley system to support her quilts.
Old 02-04-2017, 05:31 PM

I use warm and natural all the time. As the others stated you need to have the quilt supported. I always use a support and never had this problem. Good luck to you.
Old 02-05-2017, 05:31 AM
Power Poster

I agree with the support issue. I'm guessing that the portion sitting in your lap is the biggest part of the problem. If possible, try and have a 'bump' of extra sandwich in front of the needle area on the machine bed. Also, make sure that the quilt is not hanging up on the left corner of your machine bed.
Old 02-05-2017, 05:37 AM
Power Poster

​The only times I have tiny stitches using my walking foot is when I forgot to put the little arm up on the needle bar.
Old 02-05-2017, 07:01 AM

Thanks, everyone!

It's encouraging to know that you all agree that it is quilt drag. Although I've never experienced this with poly batting, I am now certain that's what it is with the heavier W&N. I do love this batting; it's so uniform and even and love the way it looks in the sandwich. But it is denser and heavier.

I've thought of the pulley system I've read about, but my first priority is a table for this machine. I absolutely hate that it is not recessed since my other machines have always been in a cabinet. I will arrange something more in front of the machine to prevent the drag , although I do bunch it up, not just have it falling down into my lap. And will find something for the left side. My dining table is large but it is oval so a support extension along the left will help.

To Tartan: I thought of that little bar, too, and checked, but the walking foot is installed correctly. Still, I may take it off and put it on again just to make sure it is not part of the problem.

I so appreciate ALL your advice and encouragement. This board is wonderful for that! It's why I brought this problem here! ;-)
Old 02-05-2017, 07:50 AM

http://www.patsythompsondesigns.com/...-x17642368.htm
this is what I just recently got
Old 02-05-2017, 08:11 AM
Power Poster

this just may be in this and next months quilting budget. thanks for sharing. [QUOTE=Dolphyngyrl;7757648][url]http://www.patsythompsondesigns.com/shop/Patsys