quilting for the public >

quilting for the public

quilting for the public

Old 05-13-2014, 04:09 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by carla m View Post
i have a situation someone at my job is asking me to make him a quilt
carla
This statement more than anything gives me cause for concern. What would happen at your work if he is not happy with your final product?? Will it create tension? I think, unless you are 100% confident in your skills and can provide a finished product, you should probably refer your coworker to someone else. I think the fact he works with you is asking for trouble if he isn't happy with the finished product.
Old 05-13-2014, 04:28 AM

Since you are sounding very hesitant, I would do as another poster recommended and help him find someone who does memory quilts on a regular basis.

If you are really interested in doing it, then start by deciding on an hourly rate that you feel is fair - and compute how many hours it will take you for each task - then get the estimate from the long-armer and add those, then add the time in for binding - and pad it with a few hours in case things go screwy - you can always refund unused hours if you decide that you overestimated by more than you are comfortable.

It sounds like a neat project, but not one that I would be comfortable doing personally.

Cheers, K
Old 05-13-2014, 05:22 AM

Don't forget to figure in extra time for disassembling the dresses!!! I'm working on turning 30 of my grandmother's handmade dresses into quilts for the family and it took me about 2 weeks to get the dresses all disassembled. It's a lot of work and dresses tend to not have seams that are on the straight-of-grain (all the flares and tucks) so you can't just rip the seams out like you can with some shirts.
Old 05-18-2014, 10:59 AM

I think im gonna pass on the project I think I could do it im just not confident my work would match up to someone elses idea of greatness. as many of you mentioned its harder to use clothing that may have stains or worn spots, than regular fabric. I also have enough projects already planed to finish out the year without adding more to it. I have 2 okc thunder quilts, at least 1 maybe 2 baby quilts and a dallas cowboy quilt and a little girl quilt to do in the near future so atm I think im booked up. theyre all for family and friends and I think I just prefer it that way.
so ill talk him on mon and tell him im just a little too busy right now. I work full time so its not like I have a lot of time to quilt anyway and the lady im going to send him too does great work and sews for the public all the time and shes about to retire from her regular job in about a month and will have way more time to devote to her sewing.
Carla m
Old 05-19-2014, 02:48 AM

I think you made the good decision. Too many times we try to be nice with others and we forget to be nice with ourselves! You seem to have enough projects already and quilting for me, has to been fun without adding more pressure.