Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
QUILTING QUESTION!! >

QUILTING QUESTION!!

QUILTING QUESTION!!

Old 07-05-2011, 06:38 AM

I made a quilt top over the weekend, need to border it yet, I used the extra square and made a lapquilt of 48x48 square, need to do a border on this as well, the large one will go to Dianna to be stitched... the lap one, I am not sure how to finish it.. should I machine quilt it in the ditch, is that hard to do? there is alot of squares to it... so do i do all of them? never machine stitched before... I was even thinking on knotting it with buttons... HELP!
Old 07-05-2011, 06:45 AM

Smile, I did the buttons with knots on a bedisze quilt and it took forever, or so I thought. Then when I put it on the bed my puppy thought the buttons were just for her and better that a doggie bone. I do like the look of the buttons in the squares corners and the knots on the back. I mostly quilt in the ditch and am just now getting so that I seldom "jump the ditch". I do all my own quilting. Whatever suits me at the time.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:49 AM
Power Poster

Size of the squares would make a difference as to how you might quilt it. Also the pattern. So perhaps showing a picture might be a good idea, if you want input.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:52 AM
Power Poster

Like everything, SID takes some practice, but it's not the end of the world if some of the stitches wind up outside the ditch. I would go for it, maybe even try some meandering too, and consider it practice for future quilts.

If you're doing SID, a walking foot makes the quilt feed much more easily and evenly. Show us your project when you're done!
Old 07-05-2011, 07:00 AM

Honestly, stitching in the ditch is probably not the thing to do if you have never quilted before. If you go off to one side or the other, it can be very noticeable.

A LA quilter taught me an easy way to do quilting that doesn't require precision and comes out really nice. She said to draw diagonal lines at 3" intervals and then sew a wavy line over each diagonal line. Draw diagonal lines going the other way and do more wavy stitches over that.

I drew some diagonal lines in black in the picture below to give you an idea of how it's done. Behind those black lines, you can see the wavy stitching. This is so incredibly easy and no one will ever know if you stayed exactly on the line!

And like the others have said, a walking foot is an absolute must.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-221198.jpe  
Old 07-05-2011, 07:07 AM

oh? ... interesting....... thanks ya'll
Originally Posted by Quilter7x
Honestly, stitching in the ditch is probably not the thing to do if you have never quilted before. If you go off to one side or the other, it can be very noticeable.

A LA quilter taught me an easy way to do quilting that doesn't require precision and comes out really nice. She said to draw diagonal lines at 3" intervals and then sew a wavy line over each diagonal line. Draw diagonal lines going the other way and do more wavy stitches over that.

I drew some diagonal lines in black in the picture below to give you an idea of how it's done. Behind those black lines, you can see the wavy stitching. This is so incredibly easy and no one will ever know if you stayed exactly on the line!

And like the others have said, a walking foot is an absolute must.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:07 AM
Power Poster

I drew some diagonal lines in black in the picture below to give you an idea of how it's done. Behind those black lines, you can see the wavy stitching. This is so incredibly easy and no one will ever know if you stayed exactly on the line!.
Great pics .... curious what the pattern is called?
I see "Wine Glasses"! :)
Old 07-05-2011, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
I drew some diagonal lines in black in the picture below to give you an idea of how it's done. Behind those black lines, you can see the wavy stitching. This is so incredibly easy and no one will ever know if you stayed exactly on the line!.
It's a bottle. I took a class at a quilt shop on Cape Cod for it, but the shop has closed now. Let me Google and see if I can come up with anything. This is not an easy pattern to make - it has lots of easing that has to be done to go around those curves. I swore I would never make one again, but I did because it is so unique.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:13 AM

It's a bottle. I took a class at a quilt shop on Cape Cod for it, but the shop has closed now. Let me Google and see if I can come up with anything. This is not an easy pattern to make - it has lots of easing that has to be done to go around those curves. I swore I would never make one again, but I did because it is so unique.[/quote]

Would love the pattern as well. It is very pretty.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:13 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltE
It's a bottle. I took a class at a quilt shop on Cape Cod for it, but the shop has closed now. Let me Google and see if I can come up with anything. This is not an easy pattern to make - it has lots of easing that has to be done to go around those curves. I swore I would never make one again, but I did because it is so unique.
Great! .... wine bottles and the glasses! :)
One step better than Mug Rugs. I'll leave it to someone creative to come up with a rhyming couplet for these!!! :)

Same concept as Apple Core pattern ... I was thinking it looked like it might even be easier than it? I appreciate your surfing to see if you can find it!! :)