Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilting the quilt >

quilting the quilt

quilting the quilt

Old 01-30-2011, 09:25 PM

I don't wanna do it. Every time I get to this point the entire thing goes to hell in a hand basket. I'm trying some new basting techniques I've learned from you all but I'm still dreading doing it.

blah
Old 01-30-2011, 09:28 PM

i know lots dont like poisons in the quilt but i love the spray makes life soo much easier
Old 01-30-2011, 09:34 PM

I know just how you feel!! Having to baste totally ruins the pleasure I got from piecing the top-procrastinating, swearing, crying, and suffering the back pain when it's done-all becomes a distant dream (well, nightmare is more like it) once I can start the quilting!! I am in the same boat now-just finished piecing a fishing-themed quilt for my uncle who is 92 and got my backing pieced and ready-but DREAD the basting. I have used spray on wall quilts etc, but never on a larger one. I usually thread-baste because I hand-quilt. Being 92 yrs old, and hand-quilting it, I'd better get on the ball and get it done while he's still around to enjoy it!! Good luck!
Old 01-30-2011, 09:35 PM

Pack 'er up and send her to me. I'll machine quilt it free-hand, and send her back. PM if interested :)
Old 01-30-2011, 10:28 PM
Banned

I can't imagine ladies....I am so sorry...take it slow and easy!
Old 01-31-2011, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by lisalisa
I don't wanna do it. Every time I get to this point the entire thing goes to hell in a hand basket. I'm trying some new basting techniques I've learned from you all but I'm still dreading doing it.

blah
What about just tying it?
Old 01-31-2011, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by raedar63
Originally Posted by lisalisa

blah
What about just tying it?
I actually considered that, but was afraid of it looking to "foo foo" since I'm making it for a guy.

And thanks for the offer to FMQ it for me, but I have to get over this hurdle

I'm just doing some simple SITD. I started in the middle and moved outwards. I wiggled a little but so far so good.

I don't understand how you all move it around doing FMQ, seems hard enough just to go in a strait line because of the bulk. Enlighten me. What's the secret? I have a darning foot and have practiced but it was very unpleasant looking.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:48 AM

just jump in and try
Old 01-31-2011, 10:22 AM

Are you talking about the basting or the actual quilting? I use safety pins to baste, I've tried the basting but don't like doing it, I'd rather pin, it seems to go quicker for me.
Sometimes I dread the quilting too, only because I'm not sure what I want to do, or what color of thread to use. But it is getting easier.