Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting a really big one >

Quilting a really big one

Quilting a really big one

Old 03-26-2015, 11:52 AM

Default Quilting a really big one

I am working on a scrappy exploding star, saw a pic of one here and just love the design, so just following the pic, using up more scraps. It is going to finish up about 120 inches square. I know it won't fit my frame, I don't want to hand quilt so I was thinking of quilting in quarters then assembling. Anyone have any hints or tips on how to go about doing that? Thanks in advance, have a great day all.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:26 PM

I quilted an over size California king by leaving off the borders on opposite sides. The length didn't matter. When I had finished quilting, I spliced the batting, sewed the extra width on each side for the backing and borders and then finished those outside edges on my domestic. Two seams on the backing weren't noticed.
Old 03-26-2015, 02:14 PM
Power Poster

machine quilting in sections by marti mitchel is one book. reversible quilts by sharon pederson is another.
Old 03-26-2015, 02:31 PM
Power Poster

I've done hand quilting in sections. why not machine
Old 03-26-2015, 07:21 PM

I took my 120 x 120 quilt to my longarmer and was happy to pay her whatever she wanted to charge! It may have really been 123 x 123. It was hard for her to get on her frame, but she did and the result was wonderful. froggyintexas
Old 03-26-2015, 09:39 PM

I have a 14' long arm and can get up to 144" of backing onto my zippers. I can quilt up to 135" with this type of set up. Ask at local guilds and I'm sure they could put you I in touch with someone who has a similar setup. What you've saved on doing the smaller quilts on your own frame will balance out the cost of having someone else do this one. you've put a lot of time and money into your project already having someone finish it who has a big enough frame would be worth it IMHO.
Old 03-27-2015, 02:35 AM

Ann Peterson has a really helpful class on craftsy called " quilting big projects on a small machine". She teaches a few ways of working on quilts in sections.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:04 AM
Power Poster

I have considered doing a large quilt in sections. I would stay stitch the edges of my quarters around the edges just outside the seam allowances so the edges don't stretch while I quilt. Keep the edges unquilted about 2 inches so I could join the quarters. I would find a seamless way to join the batting when putting the quarters back together, maybe batting tape. I would then hand invisible stitch the backing fabric seams together and then finish the quilting in the join areas. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Old 03-27-2015, 05:39 AM

How big is your DSM's throat?

I quilted a 120" square quilt on my 6600, it has a 9" throat. It wasn't too bad! I still kind of suck at FMQ, but it worked; it's on our bed now and hasn't fallen apart yet.

I started in the middle and spiraled outwards. I did a simple curly vine & leaf sort of motif.
Old 03-28-2015, 05:29 AM
shy

I have done a couple huge quilts that way..the way I do it may not be right..but it works for me..if u do a rag quilt it is very easy..all seams are open and on top of the quilt..the only thing that takes any time is butting the batting..the quilting done on the four pieces should have lines in it .so the connecting seams don't show..I quilt to a few inch from the edges.connect them then quilt over to the edge..if raggy..if not ..then I quilt over the connect seam...if the quilt is not raggy..I quilt a few inches from the edge..connect two pieces..the normal way u connect pieces for the top..then I butt t he batting together..backing is then hand sew to the next piece..or u can use the quilt as u go method..to connect the four pieces..putting the sash on the back side..if u do that u can use four different materials to make a whole new quilt on the back..as I said this may not be right or appeal to others..I have done all of these..and it is hard to fine the four squares unless u really work at it..hope this helps a little.