Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting retreat advice needed >

Quilting retreat advice needed

Quilting retreat advice needed

Old 09-21-2015, 08:00 AM

If this is a 'bring your own project' type retreat, don't be too ambitious. At my first retreat, I was determined to get all the blocks for a queen sized quilt finished. I sewed and sewed and sewed and missed out on so much else. Slow down, enjoy the process, while walking to that ironing station, take the opportunity to look at other guests' projects and talk to them.

If you have an allergies, make sure that the organizers are aware. If you are attending with friends/relatives, do not feel that you have to spend every minute with them. This is an occasion not only to learn new things but also to make new friends.

And above all have fun!!
Old 09-21-2015, 08:30 AM
Power Poster

First Aid kit!! telescopic magnet. Small flashlight. It can get dark under those tables.
Old 09-21-2015, 01:20 PM

Chocolate, lollies and wine.
Old 09-21-2015, 05:43 PM
Power Poster

bring cookies and chocolate. everyone will love you. have fun.
Old 09-22-2015, 02:34 AM

Very good advice on this thread! For the last few years I have been on one or two retreats a year with a lovely group of ladies. One thing I did learn on the first retreat is to have a variety of projects. I had one large "kit" along with four or five smaller ones, which turned out to be a good decision. I would get very sleepy on this big project, so I would take a break, walk around and chat a bit. Then I rotated between the projects after that. Worked great! Enjoy your first retreat. You will come home very happy!
Old 09-22-2015, 03:13 AM

Hello, Koko
What I learned from my first retreat- if you don't take your own sewing machine chair, get a cushion I got a great cushion from bed bath & beyond I am sure that you can find something somewhere else also. Have something to keep your tools at your finger tips I used this idea from Fons&Porter tips- the silverware holder that you have in your kitchen that holds your forks/spoons etc.. I use that to hold my tools and it works great. Take a table light I have a ottlite that I got on sale at Joann. Take extra everything I have found that everyone at these retreats are very good and share supplies. Retreats normally have pressing stations; but I still take my own iron and I made a table top ironing board idea from Jenny Doan from MSQ. Get a good heavy duty cord and long from Homedepot the orange cord and surge protector to keep from crawling around on the floor I put the surge protector on the table and have long cord this way other can use port to plug in also. Hope the information helps and most of all Have Fun Fun.
Old 09-22-2015, 04:00 AM

A few things I take, a flat pillow for your back or seat. Usually the chairs are stack chairs or folding chairs, I also love a glass of wine and cheese crackers when I return to the room. Usually after sewing all day, I'm a little sore and this is a treat.
Old 09-22-2015, 04:05 AM

Bring thread colors for all the projects you plan on working on. I pack supplies for each project in an clear zipper bag that linens or curtains are purchased in. As I pack each project, I write any pertinent dimensions, what the next step is or what needs to be done on it. That way, if I don't get to it at this retreat, that info stays with the project. I'll often layer these project bags in the large square bins designed for 12x12 scrapbook papers. I'm always surprised how many small projects will fit in a single bin.
Old 09-22-2015, 05:16 AM

I went to my first retreat at Missouri Star Quilt Company and was glad I took:

extension cord with multiple plug ins
small craft table for extra space to cut
bottled water
cushion for chair
my own pillow
Tylenol PM- all meds you need

Ready for another retreat...it is very special experience!!!
Old 09-22-2015, 05:18 AM

Have a great time! It sounds so fun. I've never been to one.