Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting retreat planning >

Quilting retreat planning

Quilting retreat planning

Old 12-04-2011, 08:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sewflower View Post
I think one of the members of this board has a list of how to start a retreat and what to bring. I think it is craftybear but I am not sure. Search her name and it should provide a link.
I have one, but I think craftybear compiled it with others! It was more for what to bring to a retreat really..not how to plan/organize one!

Last edited by jaciqltznok; 12-04-2011 at 08:51 PM.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
My ideal retreat would start with leaving my cel phone, wrist watch, Ipad and BRA at home, and end with the place not having a telephone, PC's or a television set.

After that ... I really don't care. As long as I can veg for a few days in comfortable clothes with a sewing machine and some fabric to play with.
DogHouseMom -- now that posting literally made me LOL! Sounds ideal indeed. Thanks for posting.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:03 AM

I always go to retreats in the spring and the fall. It's at a church camp. We have up to 5 days of sewing (bliss).
We have cooks to prepare meals and dishwashers to clean up. We even have a number of people coming in to do massages on different days during the retreat. This is my idea of heaven.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:28 AM

Retreats for crafters have become more popular in the last few years. Check the internet for retreats in your area. I attend retreats at two different locations in our area (North Texas) . One is a Thursday through Sunday and includes 2 or 3 meals a day depending on the meal option. Retreat location holds about 13 people. The other retreat location holds 32-33 people with 3 meals a day and brunch on the day you leave. We do there Monday-Thursday. Cost is $200+ and well worth it. Everyone works on their own thing and changing from pjs to regular clothing.

mltquilt
Old 12-05-2011, 03:51 PM

>>anyone want to do one in Illinois? I live alone and have 4 bedrooms..plenty of space.

Wow ... and your only about 40 miles from me. I was up in your neck-of-the-woods Sunday in Oswego.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by luvstoquilt View Post
anyone want to do one in Illinois? I live alone and have 4 bedrooms..plenty of space.
What part of IL? Sounds like a wonderful idea to me.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:02 AM

I am lucky to be able to go to the ideal retreat. The group rents an entire B&B (we have 20) and the Mennonite couple and their helpers take care of us and make all our meals. The meals are prepared by and excellent cook, they make our beds, and it is so clean and comfortable.

Our only complaint for the first couple of years was they made too much great food. We are now down to two meals a day and have plenty. We set up in the basement family rooms and have so much fun. Everyone works on their own projects and we have quilt bingo, secret santa, and a short lesson in something sewing related. This year I am teaching a purse organizer. We get there Monday and leave on Friday so there is a lot of time to sew.

The only downside is that it is a cold and snowy area in February which is why we can afford such a great B&B. Every year there is a blizzard or ice storm but we just stay inside.