Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Retreats >

Quilting Retreats

Quilting Retreats

Old 02-17-2011, 05:48 PM

I am going to attend my first retreat in the next few months and wondered if you folks might be kind enough to answer a few newbie questions for me?

Is it okay to bring a project with me to get others opinions and ideas for tweaking, Or is time pretty much a "sacred" personal time where others would really want to be tutoring?

What do you usually take with you as far as sewing/quilting items? Is there anything you'd just hate to forget (other than your sewing machine)?
Do you usually take your own iron, mats, etc?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,
Lori
Old 02-17-2011, 05:57 PM

I've been to a retreat twice and loved it. We had a supply list, because we also would get taught different things.

Irons and boards were provided.

I would recommend some type of pain killer, like tylenol or so. Sometimes your eyes get tired because of the strain.

Bring a notebook and pen, to take notes, you may also end up making new friends and want to stay in contact with them.

Also dress in layers, sometimes it could be cold, so you can take your clothes off or put a light jacket on. May be you also want to put some warm socks on. (May be you don't need it, because of the warmer weather.)

Either way, dress comfortable, you will sit a lot. Bring your favorite coffee cup for your coffee or tea. May be also a nice picture of your loved ones.

Most of the time you will have both, time to work on a project together and also time to spend by yourself.

The best way, may be you could contact the people who put the retreat on and ask them what is necessary or a good idea to bring.

Most of all, enjoy and have a good time. For a little while forget the everyday stress and just chill out.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:02 PM

Wow, retreats sound sooooo nice. I will really have to check one out soon. I need to retreat from this cold weather LOL.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:03 PM

The retreat leaders should provide a list of what to bring and what is provided for basics (like ironing).
A true "retreat" as opposed to a "workshop" should give you time for your own project(s) as well as kicking back and socializing. I would expect to offer suggestions to fellow quilters, and ask for their input if needed!
Old 02-17-2011, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by makakehau
I am going to attend my first retreat in the next few months and wondered if you folks might be kind enough to answer a few newbie questions for me?

Is it okay to bring a project with me to get others opinions and ideas for tweaking, Or is time pretty much a "sacred" personal time where others would really want to be tutoring?

What do you usually take with you as far as sewing/quilting items? Is there anything you'd just hate to forget (other than your sewing machine)?
Do you usually take your own iron, mats, etc?
Any input is ap
preciated.
Thanks,
Lori
Hi there. Most retreats are the same, YOu bring your projects with you, show and tell if you wish, things you need help on or something you'd like to show the rest of us. And your machine and supplies. Most provide irons, cutting boards, etc. Hope you get good ideas on here too. I got to 3-5 a year and take the same stuff but new projects. It's just that...a retreat. You do whatever you want, stay up as long as you want , play as much as you want, etc. And it's all fun.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:47 PM
Banned

I just love retreats and used to be an organizer!
They are a time for YOU...and only YOU if that is what you want out of it!
We did have an icebreaker the first night, and a game or two the second day, to get folks up and moving around a bit...but for the most part everyone is there to get away from the NORM of life and do their thing!

Take all the projects you want, but be ready to change what you are working on a few times...boredom with one project might kick in!

have a great time!
Old 02-17-2011, 08:23 PM

I go to 1 retreat every year in October. It was formed about 8 years ago from a couple online quilting sites. We have a ball and set up a few things to do for classes and fun & games. Unfortunately, I have to fly every year, but those that drive always bring their sewing machines, tools and sometimes and iron & ironing board since the retreat center we attend doesn't usually have them. So it can't hurt to bring an iron & small ironing board. If you don't need them, they stay in the car, no harm done. You are going to have a ball and meet new friends.
Let us know how it goes.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:26 PM

Sounds like fun to me!
Old 02-17-2011, 08:29 PM

i am going on a retreat next weekend cant wait
Old 02-17-2011, 08:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sewwhat85
i am going on a retreat next weekend cant wait
lucky girl...they just don't have enough of them here in OK...