Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting room organization--advice needed..... >

Quilting room organization--advice needed.....

Quilting room organization--advice needed.....

Old 11-20-2014, 11:32 AM

No ikea anywhere near here.
I have back issues and am tall so I sit to cut......so height of table/desk is not an issue.
I've been looking at the wood L shaped desks.......but they tend to be larger than my new room will accomodate ...
have had many second thoughts about the glass. steering away from the glass.
Thanks for all your suggestions and comments......g
Old 11-20-2014, 01:31 PM

Just a thought, the correct height for my sewing machine is lower than the height I like for cutting. If my cutting area was the same height as the sewing machine, that would be one huge backache for me.
Old 11-20-2014, 01:38 PM

Not sure what your budget or space limitation. You answered my thought since I stand to cut and sit to sew need two different heights. You may still want them slightly different heights. But agree glass top is not the best option.

However since you are sitting, what depth of cabinet do you need for that side of the L since you may not reach the back side or you can use it for storage containers. Or is the L going to be something you can access from both sides is another consideration. I would look for something that is sturdy enough to deal with the vibrations from your sewing machine.
Old 11-20-2014, 02:01 PM
Power Poster

Ditto on this. Check your thrift stores. I have a utility table 30x60. My 401 in the desk cabinet sits to the right of it. I can drop the 401 into the cabinet and use my domestic on top. I have my cutting mat on the utility table.
Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
Have you looked in the section Mission: Organization? That is where board members post photos of what they have made into their own quilting room. Check it out and you might find something that works for you. I thought this was a very interesting table:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/$20-sewing-table-t256777.html
Old 11-20-2014, 02:04 PM

The ad for that L table calls it a writing desk. I guess that's what I'd use it for LOL. If you 're tall I'd want a different height for cutting a sewing. The older I get the harder it is to sit and cut even a few pieces out. My thought is just keep looking, and you'll find what you want.
Old 11-20-2014, 03:02 PM

My thought is wouldn't you want to be able to recess your machine so that the bed is level with the table top?
I really just can't sew very well with my machine up on top of a table and I surely can't do any kind of FMQ that way.
Old 11-20-2014, 03:30 PM

I like the L shaped table idea. Mine started out that way and is now a C since I added another table. I have office type tables that we bought from a used office supply fairly cheaply. They are sturdy and do fold up if you ever need to do that. They also come in all sizes.
Old 11-20-2014, 05:24 PM

yep all valid and good points : )
I cannot stand still for even 5 minutes or my back spasms. so I've always rotary cut my fabric sitting
and for the 35 years that I've had my own sewing machine, I've always sewn with it sitting on a table or desk....I do very little fmq ......
here's what I've decided on........I currently have 23 X 48 folding tables; so they will sit one behind the other so that the long sides are together ......... when I'm piecing a large quilt that will give the fabric someplace to go
to my left will be my cutting area..........on a desk I got today that will fit my largest cutting mat perfectly
to my right will be my ironing board
now all I need is a GREAT chair I'll get a new chair when our son's car sells. (anyone need a car??? LOL)
Old 11-20-2014, 07:12 PM

Repurposing furniture is a great way to save money. As far as the height of what you want to use for cutting and sewing, that is strictly a personal preference combined with ergonomics. There are several ergonomic sites for sewers online. Many pieces of furniture can be lowered by shortening the feet or legs, or raised with the use of locking wheels.

Also remember the height of your sewing machine to the bed of the machine. Some of my friends did not make their sewing tables with recessed areas for their machines. Instead they bought larger fitted acrylic table tops and feet to keep the acryllic table top the correct height.

If you get a complete room to designate as your sewing room consider other items to incorporate in your plans: fabric storage, tools, rulers, pattern storage, possibly a TV or computer nearby.

I set my studio up so that I could watch the TV in the living room by just rolling out the sewing cabinet. I rarely put it back as most of my friends know I quilt/sew.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:37 PM

I had a great U-shaped crafting table but it was so big for my room, I gave it to my brother for his computer. It was 70" across the back side and it just took up too much room or I collected to much stuff? LOL! Now I have an L-shaped setup of my Gidget II with a folding table to the left of it and one at the back of it. It makes quilting easier and gives me extra room if I'm not quilting. I also have a Sullivan 36" tall cutting table but only use half of it because of my small room.
Can't wait to see your set-up sewing room when you finish it. Like the other posters, I don't think you would like the glass top table in the long run, especially for safety. jmho...