Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting rummage sale question >

Quilting rummage sale question

Quilting rummage sale question

Old 05-21-2013, 05:53 AM

I think letting the guild know ahead is a good idea. You can set an afternoon or even a 2 hour window for guild members and friends to come first - kind of an open house. It would help to thin out your inventory and reduce the amount of lifting for the garage sale. With guild members, they know the value of things. And even more importantly, you know them and which ladies are doing charity work, which ladies might be financially strapped, etc., so that you can cut deals and offer lower prices as you choose.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:54 AM

Oh shucks I was hoping that you were closer I am sure if you put quilter's sale in any message you will be cleaned out by the early birds.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by patchsamkim View Post
I will be having a large rummage/garage sale at my home in a couple of weeks and have a lot of quilting supplies to be selling. If you are going to a sale, what kind of prices would you expect to pay at a sale? I have been thinking of fabric 1/4 of retail, same with patterns and books. Most books and patterns have never been used. Is that still too much to ask, or do you think reasonable for a rummage/garage sale. I am getting my house ready to sell and having to do lots of cleaning out to downsize.
If you itemize deductions on your tax return, and your tax rate is 30%, you'd actually make 30% on your items if you donate them to Goodwill or Salvation Army and list the full retail price ($10 - $12 a yard). Same with the patterns. And, you don't have to deal with a garage sale. Can get the same deduction if you donate to a guild for Project Linus, etc., quilts.

That said, you'd probably do a brisk business online, especially with flat rate boxes. Most people would be happy to pay 25 - 40% for fabric and flat rate shipping too.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:28 PM

I'd suggest using the words "Moving Sale" in your ad. I'm a yard sale fanatic and have developed my own way of figuring out what the sale is about. "Moving Sale" often has great stuff for a good price. "Huge Sale" has often turned out to be a bunch of baby clothes and little else. "Estate Sale" often has things that are old and musty (by the time I get there) Some estate sales will allow you to place a bid on items that you want to pay less for. If they haven't sold by the end of the sale you get it at your offered price. I bought a nice pipe organ that way, but never learned to play it.

One thing that really annoys me is to go to a sale and the price is not marked. It's nice you have a plan to clearly mark the prices. There are many good suggestions here. I think your prices are great, good luck with the sale! I think it may be harder to sell patterns because people will think they can find them free online.

My Pet Peave: People who leave their yard sale signs up on poles or street corners, so I waste gas and time and increase traffic to their neighborhood for a sale that is not current! I know that doesn't have a thing to do with you, just had to say it, maybe someone will read it and think twice about that! It's kind of like litter seeing all those old signs tacked to a pole!

Your avatar is very cute, do you knit or crochet too?
Old 05-21-2013, 12:31 PM

I would pay up to $4 a yd. for quality fabric, and most quilters recognize them. Books about $5 and patterns $2. You may do better putting them for sale on here and charging shipping to the buyer. We know what is out there. Make sure you advertise fabrics and other quilting supplies in your add or on your sign.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:26 PM
Power Poster

Let us know how your sale went. I wish I loved closer so I could go. Not that I need anything more, but, you never know what others are selling that you can't live without... LOL!

Oh Good Luck with the sale. By the way, wear an apron with your money in it so it doesn't come up missing. I have heard of this happening.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by mamaw View Post
I would pay up to $4 a yd. for quality fabric, and most quilters recognize them. Books about $5 and patterns $2. You may do better putting them for sale on here and charging shipping to the buyer.
I agree with Mamaw and I have purchased from members of the QB with great satisfaction!

Nan
Old 05-21-2013, 02:06 PM
Power Poster

Perhaps you should invite quilters and sewers with a flyer, stating that it's a quilting sale-- and the price range. For just a garage or rummage sale, I wouldn't expect to pay more than about $1 a yard.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:51 PM

I agree with calling it something other than a garage/rummage sale. Have a quilter's sale and then later if you have a lot of other household things you can still have a moving sale
Old 05-21-2013, 03:33 PM

I don't mind sales where items aren't marked. I always ask how they are selling the fabric -- by the yard, by the piece, or what. The answer to that question gives me an idea of what they have in mind and how negotiable they are. They often tell the whole story on the fabric and that itself reveals a lot.

In addition, frequently sales where prices are not marked often are the sales where if you bring a pile up to the seller, you will get a good deal.