Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting on Satin >

Quilting on Satin

Quilting on Satin

Old 09-09-2011, 06:10 AM

I am in the process of making a quilt for my Grandson. It has cotton fabric on the front but his Mom wants satin for the backing. I am a little hesitant because it's slippery. Have any of you worked with this and do you have any advise on the best way to do it? Thanks for any hepl!
Old 09-09-2011, 06:12 AM
MTS
Banned

Flashback to playing with my baby sister when I placed her on my mother's satin 1960's bedspread.
And watched as she proceeded to slide off it like she was on the super slide at the water park.
Ooops.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:20 AM

I made a quilt with cotton on the back and satin on the front - it was a hand quilted wholecloth. The satin did want to slide around a bit, but I was unusually careful about basting it, so it worked out well. You might want to make sure you have plenty of extra along the edges, just in case.

And MTS - LOL!

Janet
Old 09-09-2011, 06:21 AM

ROFLOL as I recall as a newlywed using the satin sheets given us.
I showered, dried, went into the bedroom, jumped on the bed, and slid right off onto the floor on the other side. We got rid of the sheets.
This was more TMI than I usually give, but WHY would she want satin? Stick with a nice cotton. If the boy is old enough to choose his own, let him - its his quilt.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:23 AM
Banned

and be careful how you baste it. Large pin holes may stay pin holes...I'm not sure what I would do about basting. guess I'm no help other than a warning.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:26 AM

My advise ... spray baste .. it will keep that backing from slipping around on the inner layers. Make a sample sandwich to do a bit of experimenting. Use the smallest needle possible. You may want to consider quilting it upside down..so the cottons are at the feeddogs.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:26 AM
Banned

This might not be any help for you but years ago - back in the early 80's there was a quilter who used almost exclusively satin in her quilts. You might try searching for a book on satin quilting. I don't believe I still have my copy. I don't even remember the quilter's name.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:32 AM
Banned

i did some searching and there has been some discussion on this Board. Search for those postings.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:38 AM

Almost all of my baby blankets are made with the satin backings. ALL babies love the feel of the satin. Even my guys many years ago loved the feel of satin.

I use the flannel backed satin for my backs. The flannel 'holds on' to the batting really well. I have had no issues hand quilting with it. I have machine quilted with it and have been able to have great results. The only concession was that I had to quilt it in sections. There is not much stretch in the FBS so it is really pretty easy to work with. HTH

BTW I usually make a 'lovie' blanket at the same time with the same materials. I make it about 18"sq. That way they have a quilt large enough to cover and wrap and the same 'feel' in a smaller version for the car seat and to carry around as they get bigger.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by MTS
Flashback to playing with my baby sister when I placed her on my mother's satin 1960's bedspread.
And watched as she proceeded to slide off it like she was on the super slide at the water park.
Ooops.

I can't quilt laughing!!!!The image just keeps running thru my head...lol lol lol

:lol: :lol: :lol: