Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Which quilting software do you prefer? >

Which quilting software do you prefer?

Which quilting software do you prefer?

Old 07-18-2016, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
If you do currently own the version of EQ7, you can just buy the update for EQ8 when it comes out instead of the whole program.
While this has been true of previous versions, I'm not sure they will do the same for EQ8, if and when it eventually comes out. I was reading a discussion on another website about the possibility of EQ8 coming out soon, and there were a couple of EQ representatives involved in the dialogue. While they were hesitant to put anything in writing, they were very doubtful about there being an "update" price for EQ8. For that matter, they're denying there's even an EQ8 in the works.

I'm wondering if they're working on an EQ8 that is so different that they're going to release it as a completely separate product with a different name. Just being real here - sometimes people, and our demographic in particular, is not usually thrilled when something that we're familiar with gets updated and changed to the point where we have to take time from what we want to do so we can learn something new. A couple cases in point; when this forum was updated a couple of years ago, and when Windows 10 came out. It might be easier for EQ to rename it's product than to face a similar backlash.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
While this has been true of previous versions, I'm not sure they will do the same for EQ8, if and when it eventually comes out. I was reading a discussion on another website about the possibility of EQ8 coming out soon, and there were a couple of EQ representatives involved in the dialogue. While they were hesitant to put anything in writing, they were very doubtful about there being an "update" price for EQ8. For that matter, they're denying there's even an EQ8 in the works.

I'm wondering if they're working on an EQ8 that is so different that they're going to release it as a completely separate product with a different name. Just being real here - sometimes people, and our demographic in particular, is not usually thrilled when something that we're familiar with gets updated and changed to the point where we have to take time from what we want to do so we can learn something new. A couple cases in point; when this forum was updated a couple of years ago, and when Windows 10 came out. It might be easier for EQ to rename it's product than to face a similar backlash.
I, for one, would be thrilled! if they released a super usable product. I have old EQ4, just installed again. I know it's oldy-moldy and they've made improvements. I've only watched tutorials on the other versions but sometimes, while watching, I say "WOW, cool!" while other times, I think, "wow, that's just wrong". And this is while watching experts, people who have streamlined processes, not me, trying to learn how to do something from scratch. EQ is good, but it can be a bit klunky. A move forward would be a great thing, even if a huge redesign is needed. And given that these days, everything is being sold as "modern" -- (I just saw a tutorial about a "modern" fabric flower, LOL, but I digress) -- I think a complete redo would be welcomed by the up and comers. (I am not one of them, at 53 and quilting for 25 years).

I have to say, since EQ7 was released clear back in 2010, I'm pretty hesitant to buy it because Murphy's Law says that the second I buy it, they'll announce whatever permutation of EQ8. This is how it always works for me ;-). (And yes, if you all want to fund my purchase to expedite the announcement about the next product, feel free, LOL). Telling us one way or another about the future of EQ might be good for sales.

Peggi, I would love to know where you found that conversation about EQ8. If you have time, would you PM me, or share it here?

Last edited by TeresaA; 07-18-2016 at 09:32 AM.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:38 AM

I am natually pretty biased towards QuiltFusion

Love EQ7 & Quiltography.