Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Software >

Quilting Software

Quilting Software

Old 07-17-2014, 06:27 AM

Penny,
I think you and I are soul sisters! My process for making a quilt is usually done backwards! I LOVE fabric, I know I am going to make a quilt and I have a theme in mind - baseball for grandson, flowers for grandma, etc...Then I go to the fabric store and ponder over all the fabrics I like. I select the ones I like and determine the main color/fabric. I have an acquired experience for estimating the yardage needed. So far all my quilts have turned out nicely!

If only I can get in the frame of mind to select the pattern 1st - then the fabrics - maybe I would use EQ. I have an opportunity to purchase an unused EQ6 from a friend at a reasonable price - except I have a MAC. I do have a portion of my laptop portioned off through Apple's Bootcamp. So I could use this on laptop.

My questions are: 1) Will I really use EQ; 2) Will I want to upgrade to EQ7 @ $89.99; and 3)Would I be happy with less expensive Quilt Pro? Suggestions and ideas from anyone are most appreciated!!

Mary Earle
Mary Earle
Old 07-17-2014, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Mary Earle View Post
My questions are: 1) Will I really use EQ; 2) Will I want to upgrade to EQ7 @ $89.99; and 3)Would I be happy with less expensive Quilt Pro?
Not to be a wet rag or anything, but honestly - how could WE possibly know?

I use EQ all the time, but that's just me. I know other people who have bought it and never used it. Just depends on who YOU are and what YOU like.

I don't think there's a lot of people out there who own both EQ and Quilt Pro and can effectively compare both programs. If I purchased EQ I would have no need for Quilt Pro, and if I purchased Quilt Pro I would probably be thinking EQ is too expensive for me.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:56 PM

I have both Quilt Pro 5 and EQ 7 for the Mac. I was a graphic designer and magazine editor before law school, so I very well versed with computers and design software. I HATED Quilt Pro. It is just about the least user friendly program I have ever seen. I had to use the manual every single time I used it to figure it out. This is from someone who mastered some of the most powerful illustration and design software on the market. Plus, they have been saying they are going to do an update for several years, and have done nothing. They updated the PC version a few years ago, and even it seems to now sit idle as far as future development. I recently got EQ 7 (OK, the day it came out for Mac). It is not perfect, but it is much better. I know it is more expensive, but it is more intuitive and has a greater range of tools. There are also guides and websites to help you learn to use it better and more effectively. Not so for QP 5. I would be happy to answer specific questions about how the two compare. As Peckish said, not many people have both. But I do, so I may be your best source!
Old 07-20-2014, 04:14 PM

Default Thank you, spstout!!

I am so glad to get your opinion on Quilt Pro and EQ7. I, too, felt QP is "stale" in terms of new updates and features. I found EQ7 for MAC on www.quiltinaday.com for $144.95. If I go with a program, it will be EQ! I sure appreciate your input!

Mary Earle