Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting squares for practice >

Quilting squares for practice

Quilting squares for practice

Old 12-29-2015, 05:41 PM

Default Quilting squares for practice

This may be a dumb question but does anyone know of any place that sells pre-made sandwiched squares for practicing quilting? I know I could make my own, but I just thought maybe some place uses material that is flawed to make up some practice quilting squares. Also, what is the best way to learn free motion? I am making that my goal for the new year!! Thanks!!
Old 12-29-2015, 06:16 PM

I have wanted to learn free motion quilting for some time now. Leah Day does a lot of FM quilting & a lot of "filler" work. Several years ago she created 365 different FM filler designs in one year. Here's a link to 450 of her designs & videos of how she makes them.

http://leahday.com/pages/quilting-design-gallery

I think FM quilting takes a lot of practice which I'm not good at. I just don't like to practice. I have tried a few things on doll quilts, small bags, etc. but never have gotten good at it.

Now for your first question, I don't know of any place that sells pre-made sandwiches but am interested to see if anyone comes up with an answer for you.

Last edited by osewme; 12-29-2015 at 06:18 PM.
Old 12-29-2015, 06:35 PM

I have not heard of a company that makes them, but I use JoAnn's lowest cost muslin (usually a mid quality on sale or using a 50% off coupon and lowest cost batting to make practice sandwiches.
Old 12-29-2015, 06:43 PM
Power Poster

When I first got my long arm, someone suggested using mattress pads. Check thrift stores, immediately wash in hot water & cut them up. You can add a piece of fabric on the top, or just go to town. Also, you can reuse. After quilting practice, just put another piece of fabric on top and requilt. It's best if you use a different color thread the second time so you can easily check the tension on the back.
Old 12-29-2015, 06:46 PM

Thanks for the link!
Old 12-29-2015, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
When I first got my long arm, someone suggested using mattress pads. Check thrift stores, immediately wash in hot water & cut them up. You can add a piece of fabric on the top, or just go to town. Also, you can reuse. After quilting practice, just put another piece of fabric on top and requilt. It's best if you use a different color thread the second time so you can easily check the tension on the back.
I love that idea!!! Thanks!
Old 12-29-2015, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Cybrarian View Post
I have not heard of a company that makes them, but I use JoAnn's lowest cost muslin (usually a mid quality on sale or using a 50% off coupon and lowest cost batting to make practice sandwiches.
Thanks, don't you think that would be a good idea for some company to sell them..... I DO!!!
Old 12-29-2015, 07:53 PM

Actually, I don't think they're that hard to make. I use muslin and batting scraps for my practice and warm up pieces. If you use Warm & Natural or a similar batting you don't even need to pin or spray baste. One thing I found that helped me in coordinating my hand speed with the machine speed was quilting my name or other words. I didn't have to concentrate on the pattern or where to go next cause the pattern was already in my mind. I also found it helpful to outline quilt on fabric with large designs like flowers, animals, etc.
Old 12-29-2015, 09:07 PM

I just used muslin top & bottom and batting between. Best way to learn free motion is put on your favorite music and feel it as you sew!
Old 12-30-2015, 03:56 AM

i found using fat quarters was a comfortable practice size. i keep a few made up (2 fq's with a warm and natural middle) so i always have a warm up pieces.
all great suggestions so far. might also try to stitch shapes that you can easily doodle. things like little hearts ,stars and leaves that we learned as children were much easier to string together for me than a stipple and you can cross over lines to fill a space.