Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilting stencil >

quilting stencil

quilting stencil

Old 11-23-2016, 09:02 PM

I have the blue pounce that irons off but have not used it yet. When I use the white pounce, I was told to dampen the area with a damp wash cloth and the chalk would stick better. It did better when I use this method. and I don,t pounce the chalk but glide over the stencil. I hope this helps. I will also try the exato knife on my blue stencils. Thanks for that tip.
Old 11-23-2016, 09:19 PM

I have heard that the blue pounce doesn't come off with iron. Suggest you test first. There are two products...chalk to be pounced and a similar looking product cslled Miracle chalk. Miracle chalk will iron off and not the chalk pounce. Pounce is in black container and miracle chalk is in red eraser type container. I have been told the manufacturers of MC has not found a product that successfully is removed with iron. Suggest you use these products with caution. Reading these posts it appears all are trying to make something work in a way it was not intended. I believe the stencil you have is similar to a silk screen marking is to rub chalk thru the screen onto the fabric. The chalk will not stay on thru folding and rubbing as it is quilted. That is the nature of the product. Miracle Chalk will stay on longer as it has another ingredient along with the chalk.
Old 11-24-2016, 08:16 AM

I use one of those foam paint brush and brush the chalk on. Works good for me. Never had good luck with the pounce.
Old 11-24-2016, 09:35 AM

I use pounce all the time. "Pounce" is a misnomer and I learned that the hard way. Perhaps it should be called "swipe" or "rub" because that is how it works. Don't give up...it works well.
Old 11-24-2016, 09:51 AM

I don't remember where I heard about this, but I use it and it is great (if you plan to wash your finished quilt). After you "pounce/mark with chalk" spray it with hair spray. It is removable but the chalk will not bounce off the quilt while you are working it. Use a gentle spray as too much will make the fabric stiff. The chalk and the hair spray will wash off easily.
Old 11-25-2016, 09:18 PM

Getting away from the pounce, but being able to use the design you like, why don't you trace the design on Press'nSeal and lay it on your fabric (it sticks nicely) and just stitch thru the paper and then tear off the paper.
Old 11-28-2016, 02:46 PM

You must have been reading my mind. I traced it, photo copied it off my printer and stitched right through it. The pattern is large enough that using my walking foot was no problem. I'm sure FM quilters can do it easier but I'm not there yet. One of the other ladies showed me how to link them so I'm good to go. I don't know what Press'nSeal is. Stuff like that is hard to come by in Canada and if you do find it, you can't afford it.