Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting with stencils >

Quilting with stencils

Quilting with stencils

Old 03-09-2015, 03:36 PM

Thanks so much for the tips!! I have a practice piece with several designs marked on it. I will use thread that will blend in and not stand out too much.
Old 03-09-2015, 04:11 PM
Power Poster

I use stencils all the time. I either use powder white chalk or a purple be gone. When I need to alter the stencil size, I draw it out, scan it, make the size change and the print it out on thinnest copy paper. Then I cut tracing paper and put that behind the copy. Take thread and bobbin out and stitch on the line as accurate as possible. Then I take the punched tracing paper pinning it in place where I want to quilt and use that as my template quilting as I go. Then gently remove the tracing paper and it is done.
Old 03-11-2015, 06:01 AM

I have followed a drawn design without free motion and find it quite easy to do on a small quilt so a runner.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:05 AM

I use disappearing ink markers but you do have to quilt it the day you mark it.
Also use chalk powder and stencils sometimes. I like both ways.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:25 AM
Power Poster

What kind of machine do you have? Some machines have built in quilting designs that you stitch out one block at a time. If there aren't any built in, there is the alternative of using a program/card too. Just an alternative to think about.

I have used the frixon to place continuous designs on with a stencil. But, sometimes it actually bleaches out the darker fabric after ironing. Just remember to use a very simple design to begin with. It is like learning to color, we could not do it immediately remember? It take time to learn to stay in the lines. Be good to yourself while learning. It won't take as long as you would think, but there is a learning curve. And practice, practice ...

Also check out utube. It has many quilting videos on fmq'ing.

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 03-11-2015 at 07:28 AM.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:28 AM

I mark my quilts lightly with a mechanical pencil and just take my time with it. Don't try to quilt it 90 mph, and you should be fine. The graphite washes out and no one even knows it was there! If you're still nervous, make a small sample & try it out first, just to see how it feels to you.
Old 03-11-2015, 04:55 PM

I use stencils. Trace design onto parchment paper or tissue, pin to quilt and quilt away. I then tear off the paper after doing 2 or 3 designs. It is simple and works. If you use paper, wet with a Qtip before tearing as it softens the paper and makes it easier to remove - read that tip here on the QB.
Old 03-11-2015, 04:57 PM

I'm a big fan of using cheap, a roll of paper that is used on doctor's exam tables, trace the pattern and sew through the lines. The paper is so thin that it comes off like a dream. FMQ is like anything else, well a little more, and it requires practice and the more you do it the more comfortable you become doing it. I love the way my latest patterns turned out.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:03 PM

I am going to print a copy of my design, and use the "needle and no thread" method (I might be able to put a stencil on the platen, then cover the stencil ( to make it show up) it with some medium colored fabric, and just print the copies I need, (but the other way lets my hands and brain get used to the design by practicing)to make as many as I need, pin them down, then free motion stitch on the lines. When I am done, I will just tear the paper away from it. Note-I say I plan to, not have, if this method does not work for me, I will come back to this thread and try some of the wonderful suggestions. Remember to shorten your stitches a bit when sewing on any kind of paper to make removal easier.

Last edited by madamekelly; 03-11-2015 at 07:06 PM.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:26 PM

Remember to shorten your stitches a bit when sewing on any kind of paper to make removal easier. - from madamekelly

That is so true. Shorter stitches make paper removal so much easier and less paper gets caught under the thread. I am lucky that my younger daughter likes to hunt for the elusive pieces of paper that I sometimes just don't see.