Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilting with Suede??? >
  • Quilting with Suede???

• Quilting with Suede???

Old 02-23-2015, 05:19 AM
    Power Poster

I saw a show on Simply Quilts many years ago where a guest was showing how to make a quilt out of ultra suede, I think it was, maybe real suede. He arranged the squares so the shading on every other block was different, I guess with and against the grain. It was gorgeous. He did simple quilting in the ditch. It inspired me, but I used a fabric that looked like ultra suede and did the same thing - 12" squares set on point and stitched in the ditch. It was king size and I quilted it in my dinky mechanical Brother XR-52. It was for my son and he loved it. Anyway, the inspiration from the show was very simple and very beautiful.
    Old 02-23-2015, 06:28 AM

If you want as many squares as possible, I would cut the best size square I could get out of the piece and then machine applique to a square of fabric, no loss of suede in seams.
    Old 02-23-2015, 09:14 AM

Hello! My advice would be to use it on a project that requires as little cleaning (laundering) as possible for obvious reasons lol. I sew with leather every day making handbags. I am an apprentice to a man who has been doing this for 30 years. If your suede isn't thick I would not worry about needle size - a practice piece is probably the best idea so you can get a feel for a good stitch length - it is most likely going to stretch on you. I sew on a Juki at the shop - it is the fastest machine! I have a hard time coming home & sewing on my own - they just seem to crawl lol. Good luck with your project and let us know how things are going.
    Old 02-23-2015, 09:32 AM
    Power Poster

At MQX last year there was at least one quilted wall hanging made of leather. It was of a horse and it was exquisite. Done on a LA I believe.
    Old 02-23-2015, 04:43 PM

Wow! Y'all came through in spades! Lots of really great ideas to consider and tons of encouragement. I can't wait to check out episode 508 on QNNTV (thanks Paper Princess). Couple of quick questions:

1) Not More Craft--how do you glue the seams open? And with what kind of glue?

2) Yankee Girl--though my suede is quite thin and your advice is not to worry about the size of the needle, I still need to use a leather needle, right? I can't get away with just a regular sharp needle. (Also, I'm so interested in your apprenticeship. If you feel like sharing more, feel free to send me a PM).

3) Finally, it seems like the consensus is to have longer stitch lengths, which makes sense--the fewer holes the better (I think this was cookie monster and a few others' point) and I know I will have to test out. But, any ideas? The Juki 2010q goes up to 6.0, but that seems too long. 3.5? 4?

As always, thanks so much for your help! I have a feeling that this might be really satisfying (and then expensive....).

Bestest,
    A