Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is quilting suppose to be so painful????? >

Is quilting suppose to be so painful?????

Is quilting suppose to be so painful?????

Old 10-23-2010, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
I have been quilting for the last 4 days and only stopping when I had to. It's been either sewing, cutting or sandwiching along with walking from the bedroom to the kitchen and my sewing area. I had 1 machine set up on the kitchen table, 1 in my sewing area and using the bed to measure and sandwich my quilt. I used 2 machines for different colors and stitches. And now I hurt from my shoulders all the way down to my knees. My hips and lower back hurt the worse. Please tell me I am not alone in this, if I am then I will blame it on my age. I'm only 42, LOL.
I feel your pain!!! I have spent most of the day sewing and tomorrow will be spent sewing and quilting also. And more of the same on Monday. And I will probably not be able to move come Tuesday. My joints are 45 years old and feel like they are so much older than that some days. I do get up to move about from time to time. I don't have a sewing room yet so the kitchen and bedroom are where I work at.

The grandbabies are spending the weekend with their other grandparents and will be home late Monday. I am trying to get as much quilting/sewing done for Christmas presents while they are not home. Micah is 19 mths. and loves to help (NOT!) mamaw sew. LOL!! His help tends to put me farther behind on my quilting projects. :mrgreen:
Old 10-23-2010, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
Debbie I wish I had a hot tub!!! Annette I was up and moving every 20 minutes or so. I think it may have been the sandwiching that really did me in. I made pillow cases, 4 of them, and matching curtains for my quilt.
hot tub, that is me.....at 1am 2am 4 am 5am.......can't do without it!
Old 10-24-2010, 03:17 AM
Power Poster

i force myself to take regular breaks...i set timers! no sewing/working for more than 45 minutes at a time...when the timer goes off i have to stop...to shut the stupid/annoying thing off...then i actually take a break...get a drink, look through the mail, make a phone call,do some stretches, exercise; what ever...15 minutes...then reset the timer and go back to sewing...i have found i am much more productive and much less sore at the end of the day when i take regular breaks.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:50 AM

You are never alone....we all try to do too much at one time and suffer for it later. That's either being a Mom, Gramma or a Quilter :lol:
Old 10-24-2010, 04:01 AM

I hear you, I think we get so caught up in what we are quilting we forget to stretch and to take breaks. This would help.
I also put a book to raise up the back of my machine and that helps my shoulders. Take a break, breath, and enjoy.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:06 AM
cjk

Originally Posted by grammiepamie
My back hurts constantly.My Dr. calls it chronic backpain. It definatley is a pain.I sew a little, walk around a little, sew a little, then walk a little more.I can't stand for more than 10 minutes. Then the sciatica nerve starts burning and jangling. I took pain medicine for 4 years been off of it more than 2 years now. I guess I have learned to live with it. But it sure slows me down alot,
I'm the same. It makes me angry sometimes cause it takes me so long to get anything done! But it's better then living on pain meds!
Old 10-24-2010, 04:27 AM

The right height tables and chairs when sitting will help tremendously as Debbie said.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:43 AM

I think for your sewing machine you need a higher chair or a shorter table. That will definitely helper. If you don't have one of Debbie's machine lifters, try some door stops from the $ store at the back of the machine. Pitching it slightly forward makes you drop your shoulders. Use a tall surface for cutting: maybe the kitchen counter. Your elbows should be at not quite 90 degrees. Make an effort to drop your shoulders. It will feel very artificial but it will help. When you're going from place to place do some little upper body exercises to help you stay stretched out. I found some for typists and I'll look for them again. They really help and they only take a minute or two. If you don't have one try to find an office chair. I got mine at a secondhand office furniture place for $25 about 4 years ago and it's still going strong. Don't think I'd be able to walk at all after quilting if I didn't have that nice supportive chair. By the way, your quilts are beautiful, cjmomma! Oh yeah, did you check out the post for the epsom salts bath? Bet that would help, too!
Old 10-24-2010, 04:55 AM

My DH is making me a combination of cutting and light table to my exact height. Of course he has had this work in progress for over a year now, so I am not getting excited until I see it done. I agree with the others, a hot tub is the best!
Old 10-24-2010, 09:06 AM

I'm just jealous that you are getting so much done and I'm not doing anything except goofing around.

When are we going to see the finished products?