Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Is quilting suppose to be so painful?????

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    I have been quilting for the last 4 days and only stopping when I had to. It's been either sewing, cutting or sandwiching along with walking from the bedroom to the kitchen and my sewing area. I had 1 machine set up on the kitchen table, 1 in my sewing area and using the bed to measure and sandwich my quilt. I used 2 machines for different colors and stitches. And now I hurt from my shoulders all the way down to my knees. My hips and lower back hurt the worse. Please tell me I am not alone in this, if I am then I will blame it on my age. I'm only 42, LOL.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I understand. This is why I have DH make me a cutting table that is at the right heighth when I stand for a while and cut, also comfortable chairs to sew in, foot rests, etc. If not, I can hardly move the next day. I make sure I have all convenient heights. Makes a difference. When I used to use the bed to lay out quilts it killed my back so I use two folding tables and put pvc pipe pieces under each leg and it makes the height easier for sandwiching quilts. When you have bones nad muscles like me, you make it easier. LOL This is a good post. YOu are not alone. I am 54 and feel the same pain. HUGS

HOt tubs are great for relaxing. Takes the edge off.
    Name:  Attachment-108012.gif
Views: 14
Size:  12.2 KB

My back hurts constantly.My Dr. calls it chronic backpain. It definatley is a pain.I sew a little, walk around a little, sew a little, then walk a little more.I can't stand for more than 10 minutes. Then the sciatica nerve starts burning and jangling. I took pain medicine for 4 years been off of it more than 2 years now. I guess I have learned to live with it. But it sure slows me down alot,

You have to force yourself to get up & stretch & move at least every 1/2 hr to 1 hr. If I don't I can't move either & it hurts. Even if you have to set an alarm to remind you. I know it is easy to forget when you are on a roll! LOL It is necesary though for your body.

I recommend the book "Rx for Quilters" by Mech, C&T publishing c.2000. I am 60, and know what you mean. We have to take care of our bodies!

Nope not alone it is oneof the most painful hobby's of mine because of all of the up and down and moving. Who would have thought that quilting was such an active sport!!!

Oh you poor thing.....maybe a short stool to sit on while you're working over the bed??? I work on the floor when sandwiching and boy oh boy, I know the pain, too.

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    Debbie I wish I had a hot tub!!! Annette I was up and moving every 20 minutes or so. I think it may have been the sandwiching that really did me in. I made pillow cases, 4 of them, and matching curtains for my quilt.

What's the rush? Slow down and take lots of breaks. Your body will thank you. :D

np3
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by debbieumphress
    I understand. This is why I have DH make me a cutting table that is at the right heighth when I stand for a while and cut, also comfortable chairs to sew in, foot rests, etc. If not, I can hardly move the next day. I make sure I have all convenient heights. Makes a difference. When I used to use the bed to lay out quilts it killed my back so I use two folding tables and put pvc pipe pieces under each leg and it makes the height easier for sandwiching quilts. When you have bones nad muscles like me, you make it easier. LOL This is a good post. YOu are not alone. I am 54 and feel the same pain. HUGS
    I had an island built into the center of my kitchen and use it for a cutting space and sandwich small projects there too. I use double banquet tables for the large projects. DH built my sewing table to my specs for height and I use those bumpy cushions for my back. It really helps!!!!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast