Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting and Sustainability >

Quilting and Sustainability

Quilting and Sustainability

Old 01-13-2015, 03:24 AM

I reuse everything I can, and keep more "potential reusables" than I probably should. That includes craft-related items as well as everyday household items. I'm pretty sure that makes me a packrat, but it tends to run in my family, so at least I can say "I get it honest". hee hee

DH doesn't like it, but when it comes to HIS collection of stuff ... tools, hardware, etc. ... he has NO room to talk.
Old 01-13-2015, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Quilting keeps me sane, does that count as sustainability?
Works for me!
Old 01-13-2015, 04:44 AM
Power Poster

I'm not much of a reuse or make do type person. I will if the need is there but I don't have that need in my life now. My way of thinking is why use use a blunt pencil when a brand new sharp one is right there. I save fabric scraps but rarely use them. I take them to guild and let everyone go through them or make a pet bed. I have even thrown the bin full away. Really makes no difference to me if they are used or not. I don't use old clothes for quilts. Too time consuming to repurpose those.
Old 01-13-2015, 04:53 AM

I found a really cute way to use up scraps of batting making a snowman Christmas tree ornament - unfortunately I can't seem to copy the picture from Pinterest to this board. Also have used scraps of batting to make "envelopes" to store some of my delicate Christmas tree ornaments in.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Snowman ornament.pdf (156.6 KB, 271 views)
Old 01-13-2015, 05:51 AM

That snowman is sooooo cute. Had to safe him for reference.

As far as using batting scraps...I have a bin of them, used some for packing fragile tree ornaments last week....use squares to wipe excess oil out of bobbin race on L/A....even use a chunk to dust with in sewing cave.......

How does one reuse thangles? Aren't they paper pieced triangles that are torn away....maybe I have the wrong term....
Old 01-13-2015, 05:55 AM

Default Quilts @ Sustainability

Originally Posted by alleyoop1 View Post
I found a really cute way to use up scraps of batting makinUstainusstag a snowman Christmas tree ornament - unfortunately I can't seem to copy the picture from Pinterest to this board. Also have used scraps of batting to make "envelopes" to store some of my delicate Christmas tree ornaments in.
That snowman is adorable!
Old 01-13-2015, 06:00 AM
Power Poster

I have gotten to where I save just about everything. No not a hoarder. I have a shoe box with tissue paper from the shoe boxes. I too iron it quickly. Great for paper piecing. Just got rid of a lot of gift wrap, I gave to a friend who decoupages. She was happy for it. She has a daughter who has autism and makes the most beautiful designs with the wrapping paper. She gets my colored tissue paper. I hang onto the white. getting back on track a little every day with quilting projects. Scraps under 2" square go to the doggy bed bin.
Old 01-13-2015, 06:19 AM

That snow man Christmas tree ornament is so cute!

The only thing I can think of right off that I "recycle" as a quilter is a toothbrush. I was searching for one of those wooden stick looking things that sort of flatten out seams... don't know what it is called. I found some online but was working on a tricky Bargello and wanted something "right then" to help with the ironing. A toothbrush worked perfectly....not the brush end, of course. I never did order the wooden thing. I learned later that a wooden clothes pin would make 2 such tools, but I am happy with my toothbrush handle.

Dina
Old 01-13-2015, 06:30 AM

This kind of thread drives me crazy. That's all I'm sayin'. Now I'll go to my corner and quilt.
Old 01-13-2015, 06:37 AM

Reusing and recycling is great. I think that's what quilters do best. But, what about at the buying end? How many of us look for organic, sustainably farmed fibers, or non-GMO fabrics? Someone else brought up the fact that ordering by mail, or internet, saves in fuel. That's an idea. What about how fabrics are produced? Are the dyes toxic? Do they have to be shipped from half way around the world?