Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Quilting

Don't hear very much on how to quilt a quilt. I see alot about how to put together the top of a quilt. Where do you find pattern for the bottom or under part? I'm new at this and the only thing I know is to sew in the ditch .

one way to add interest to your quilting is find a backing fabric that has open patterns and by putting this on top and the quilt top on the bottom, use the backing and quilt following a pattern in the fabric print.
    I have done this a couple of times, and just used it a class for the student to do some each patrice of moving the fabric.

There are many ways to quilt a quilt. Quilt in the ditch you know, outline quilting is quilting 1/4" away from every seam. Echo quilting is quilting around the shape of an object, then quilt around that shape maybe 1/2" away, then repeat so the design "echos" around the shape throughout the block. Cross-hatching, quilting in parallel lines in a grid, either squares or diamonds. Free motion, just meandering with your quilting lines, sometimes making designs in your quilting like flowers or leaves or stars, etc. Stippling, which is a meandering pattern very small so the quilting is very close together. You can buy stencils and trace designs onto your quilt and then quilt on the lines. Or you can get a large print backing fabric and sew around the designs of the fabric. But anyway you quilt it, it's always beautiful!!

Blog Entries
    Lots of nice tips, thanks for sharing

Blog Entries
    here is a nice video to watch on quilting by machine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGsGxY7V920