Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting thread colors >

Quilting thread colors

Quilting thread colors

Old 04-08-2011, 10:18 AM
Power Poster

I am a lover of varigateds too. I think each quilt kind of tells us what kind of quilting and color/type of thread to use.

I bought big lots of varigateds on ebay for less than $1 spool 3 years ago. I have had great luck with them, and they are an off brand :D:D:D
Old 04-08-2011, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by katier825
I love to quilt with variegated threads. For the back, it depends. I've matched the color to the fabric. I've used the same as the front, or used off white. If you're new to the quilting part, you might feel more comfortable blending, rather than contrasting. I've quilted with black, but black on black is very difficult to see where you are quilting. I liked the finished look, but did a bit of cursing along the way. :)
I like the varigated too and it is really popular with the quilters in my area
Old 04-08-2011, 01:06 PM

I'm new to machine quilting (just about finished my second one) and I was told in my FMQ class that thread color depends on one thing. IF you want your quilting to blend in or stand out.

I for one like mine to stand out. So my first one was white thread on green backing and my current one is purple variagated thread. on pinks and purple.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:50 PM

Thanks everybody! I've decided to try different color thread on my next project. I hand quilt so the backing is usually muslin. Using colored thread will add some interest to the backside too. Going to look at some veriegated since my next project is pink, blue and green. Have to make sure my stitches are perfect on this one. :-)
Old 04-08-2011, 07:46 PM
Banned

When I want to use colored thread, I lay out my top and then strip off about 2 or 3 feet of thread to lay against the quilt top. That usually tells me if the thread is a "go". I've found that the strangest threads make some wonderful contrasts to the top.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by watterstide
my sil did this quilt, and she used a teal thread, so it would show up on the black..she wanted it to be another dimension of the quilt..

i love verigated thread myself!
That's a beautiful quilt!! I love the black in it since it makes the other colors pop. :-)
Old 04-09-2011, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by the casual quilter
When I want to use colored thread, I lay out my top and then strip off about 2 or 3 feet of thread to lay against the quilt top. That usually tells me if the thread is a "go". I've found that the strangest threads make some wonderful contrasts to the top.
That's a great idea! :thumbup:
Old 04-09-2011, 06:58 AM

If you are handquilting with a variegated thread, let me caution you about needle-eye size. I recently used Signature size 20 cotton thread. I use Roxanne #11 or #12 needles. Couldn't use the #12 with this thread and the #11 was not easy either. It's a beautiful thread and they have many lovely colors but it's very thick. Just make sure you use a size that will fit through the eye of your needle.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter
If you are handquilting with a variegated thread, let me caution you about needle-eye size. I recently used Signature size 20 cotton thread. I use Roxanne #11 or #12 needles. Couldn't use the #12 with this thread and the #11 was not easy either. It's a beautiful thread and they have many lovely colors but it's very thick. Just make sure you use a size that will fit through the eye of your needle.