Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Quilting thread colors

  1. #1
    Super Member KimS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Southeast Missouri
    Posts
    1,859
    I've always used an off white thread for quilting and thought I might try a colored thread next. Any suggestions or cautions when doing this?

  2. #2
    Super Member ckcowl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    Posts
    9,527
    i usually match my thread to the quilt unless i really want some contrast.
    it usually works best to use the same thread in the top and the bobbin.

  3. #3
    Super Member Jan in VA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Central Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Posts
    6,386
    For machine piecing I use ecru/natural, grey, or taupe witgh same in the bobbin.

    For machine quilting the layers together I usually use a thread color used in the quilt.

    For handquilting I often use a thread color that will enhance the design of the blocks and the quilting pattern.

    Jan in VA

  4. #4
    Super Member katier825's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    6,745
    Blog Entries
    3
    I love to quilt with variegated threads. For the back, it depends. I've matched the color to the fabric. I've used the same as the front, or used off white. If you're new to the quilting part, you might feel more comfortable blending, rather than contrasting. I've quilted with black, but black on black is very difficult to see where you are quilting. I liked the finished look, but did a bit of cursing along the way. :)

  5. #5
    Super Member feline fanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    6,771
    The only caution I can think of is the one Diane Gaudynski warns of in one of her MQ books. I can't remember exactly but I think it was something like if you use a dark thread on a light fabric small mistakes will be emphasized and show up much more. I believe light thread on dark fabric is more forgiving in that respect. I have done both and have been pleased with the results.

  6. #6
    Super Member MaryStoaks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    La Quinta, CA
    Posts
    3,911
    I always use white on everything. Not fancy but then I don't do fancy.

  7. #7
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    5,840
    Blog Entries
    1
    my sil did this quilt, and she used a teal thread, so it would show up on the black..she wanted it to be another dimension of the quilt..

    i love verigated thread myself!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  8. #8
    Super Member KimS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Southeast Missouri
    Posts
    1,859
    Quote Originally Posted by watterstide
    my sil did this quilt, and she used a teal thread, so it would show up on the black..she wanted it to be another dimension of the quilt..

    i love verigated thread myself!
    What brand varigated thread do you buy?

  9. #9
    Super Member KimS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Southeast Missouri
    Posts
    1,859
    Quote Originally Posted by katier825
    I love to quilt with variegated threads. For the back, it depends. I've matched the color to the fabric. I've used the same as the front, or used off white. If you're new to the quilting part, you might feel more comfortable blending, rather than contrasting. I've quilted with black, but black on black is very difficult to see where you are quilting. I liked the finished look, but did a bit of cursing along the way. :)
    Had to laugh at the cursing because....been there....done that. :lol:

  10. #10
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    5,840
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by KimS
    Quote Originally Posted by watterstide
    my sil did this quilt, and she used a teal thread, so it would show up on the black..she wanted it to be another dimension of the quilt..

    i love verigated thread myself!
    What brand varigated thread do you buy?
    i buy whatever is on sale at joanns..since i like to use different thread color combos, i never saw the need to get a big cones of it. it all depends what color the blocks or sashing is.
    there is gutterman,sulky..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.