Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Thread Help, Please >

Quilting Thread Help, Please

Quilting Thread Help, Please

Old 06-23-2014, 05:16 AM

Default Quilting Thread Help, Please

I am working on quilting a gift quilt (my aunt's). I am working on the walking foot quilting before I spend a bit of time practicing on my FMQ and getting ready to dive in head first (My first big FMQ). There is one area of my quilt that I need to have "quilted" in order to prevent catching fingers and toes (an applique), but I don't want it to cover up what I am sewing in any way. I know there is such a thing as an "invisible" thread. If anyone has used it for quilting, how does it work? and can you tell me what brand you used and where you purchased it. Thanks so much!
Old 06-23-2014, 05:29 AM
Power Poster

They have improved invisible thread over the past decade. It use to feel like fishing line. I just stopped using it because I was concern with the washablilty down the road. I am not current on who makes the best. I use to use Sulky invisible when I needed to. I usually can fine the color thread to match what I was stitching. Wish you had posted a picture.
Old 06-23-2014, 05:54 AM

I think superior and YLI are very popular for their monopoly thread.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:22 AM
Power Poster

The most invisible thread I have tried is YLI nylon monofilament (.003mm, about as fine as baby hair). Many people believe polyester thread will last longer than nylon thread, but I am not convinced. I have tried a couple of polyester invisible threads, including the one from Superior Threads, but they all show more than the YLI nylon monofilament. The Invisafil thread also shows more than YLI nylon. Actually, all of the invisible threads I have tried show more than the YLI nylon. I have never found good invisible thread locally; have always had to order it online.

There are some tips to using nylon monofilament correctly. It is a stretchy thread, so it is important to lower your upper tension several notches. You also want to fill bobbins slowly. For plastic bobbins, half full is plenty; for metal bobbins, 3/4ths full is usually fine. If you fill the bobbin fast, the thread will stretch and then spring back as you sew. if you overfill, the bobbin can distort.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:10 AM

YLI is my go-to nylon thread choice.
Old 06-25-2014, 03:27 AM

I use only Superior MonoPoly Matte finish. It does not appear to stretch any more than regular polyester thread that I use for all of my other stitching. I use poly in the bobbin to match my backing. I don't usually have to adjust my tension and I don't have any problem with the thread breaking. I must admit that I seldom have any tension or thread breaking issues with my 12 year old Pfaff.