Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 11 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: quilting TV shows

Is it just me, or do other people find that some of the Hosts on quilting TV shows sound like they are talking to a kindergarden class? Just because I am female and interested in traditional crafts does not mean my IQ is in the single digits.
    I must say most of my viewing was some time ago but I just saw one who shall remain nameless and it was the same thing.
    I have also seen Nancy Zeman, she seems to be OK.

I love watching quilting shows!

I couldn't help thinking that Eleanor Burns sounds a lot like Michelle Duggar to me, but I am weird that way.

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    Maybe some audience (Newbies) are not as advanced in sewing techniques as others who have been quilting for years and years..

Maybe they are trying to get the 'younger' generation interested..

Maybe they are taking it slow so us slowpokes can keep up...

lots of maybe's out there..

got to love Nancy!

Blog Entries
    wish I had them to watch here! I have one but I would have to get up at 530 on a sat morning to watch it

Quote Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
    Maybe some audience (Newbies) are not as advanced in sewing techniques as others who have been quilting for years and years..

Maybe they are trying to get the 'younger' generation interested..

Maybe they are taking it slow so us slowpokes can keep up...

lots of maybe's out there..
    I don't mean they explain everything, it's more their tone of voice. Next time you watch one, try to picture a DIY show for guys that sounds like that.

I think they just have to assume you are a beginner, because it is such a big audience, you can't assume they all are on the same quilting skill level. Some have done it for years, some have yet to quilt, and some are just starting. If they just assume everyone knows basic quilting skills they might lose some of the newbies.

I know what you mean. I notice that EB later shows has her talking less babyish. I think she tends to have that happy voice naturally, but pushes it too much when speaking publicly. She also came from the stage (her classes) to television. She needs to tone it down for the small screen.

I agree with this comment! (The tone of voice). Some preesenters have a grin plastered from ear to ear for the whole show while they drip sweet honey from their lips! It really is sooooo false and reminds me of some Kindergarten/ pre-school teachers who are trying to be encouraging to inattentive toddlers! Give it to me staight and sensibly - I can understand "plain speak!" We are all well educated adults after all! I also think there is an over use of the adjectives 'darling' and 'cute'. THERE ARE MANY MORE DESCRIPTIVE TERMS FOR THE RESULTS OF OUR CREATIVE GENIUS SURELY!

Blog Entries
    i know what you mean ,i get turn off by marti and her daughter it,s like im back in k glass again the way they explain things in glasses

Page 1 of 11 1 2 ... LastLast