Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting with upholstery fabric >

Quilting with upholstery fabric

Quilting with upholstery fabric

Old 04-15-2011, 11:09 AM
Power Poster

Glad to see this topic. In Hobby Lobby the other day in the remnant bin I saw a piece of fabric I liked - 54" wide, one yard piece - looked like cotton - I found the bolt of it in the decorator section and it is 100% cotton, but it is treated to help reduce staining. I thought I would use it as purse lining - or wonder if whatever they put on it would wash out. It feels just like regular cotton.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:52 AM

Most upholstry and drape fabric is treated with something like scotch guard. I have used cotton decorator fabric to make small quilts successfuly. I presoaked the fabric in the sink and hung to drip dry. After the quilts were finished I washed them and there were still beautiful.
Old 04-15-2011, 02:56 PM

Upholstery fabric is awesome for all sorts of bags. I buy ends of rolls and use it for all my bags.
Old 04-15-2011, 02:59 PM

I have used lots and washed most all of it with no problems-
I have a large window quilt that is all small decorator samples--weighs a TON--and yes, my back and arms hurt after wrestling it to sew it together.
Old 04-16-2011, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by babasil
I don,t know how to add additional info after I started. I did try to make a quilt from the upholstery fabric and ripped it apart as I had trouble keeping the squares even. I probably needed wider seams as you suggest. I never thought to put in a batting as it was quite thick and I had a piece of velvet type to use on the backing. I think I will take it out again and see what I can do with it.
Velvet can be squirrely. and doesn't play nice with the other fabrics. It doesn't even play nice with other velvets. So if you do decide to take it out, use pins to hold the velvet in place. I should ask if it was a whole piece of velvet for the backing.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:08 AM

yes it was a whole piece and I also had some 5" squares of it too. I will have to play with it again, thanks for the advice.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:08 AM

yes it was a whole piece and I also had some 5" squares of it too. I will have to play with it again, thanks for the advice.
Old 02-08-2015, 09:15 AM

Do you have pictures? I have stacks and stacks of pretty upholstery squares that I need to either use or release. Thanks!
Originally Posted by Mrs B View Post
Upholstery fabric is awesome for all sorts of bags. I buy ends of rolls and use it for all my bags.
Old 02-08-2015, 10:49 AM
Power Poster

Craft items yes, but with the thickness of upholstery fabric, I wouldn't want to deal with the thickness from the 1/4" seams.
Old 02-08-2015, 10:58 AM

Yes I have, I break all kinds of "quilting rules". As has already been mentioned prewash, wider seams, bigger pieces, and obviously machine piecing and quilting. The only pics I have are of my two most recent, they are meant for curtains. The quilts I've done are no longer w/ me but w/ friends and relatives.
Attached Thumbnails dsc_0446.jpg   dsc_0455.jpg