Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Quilting with upholstery fabric

Has anyone made a quilt with upholstery fabric? I saw some beautiful ones in a fabric store in Ohio. They were all done in squares.

Blog Entries
    Idk, but I'm going to watch this topic. I have some of the ugliest yet cute upholstery fabric that was given to me. I don't have the heart to trash it and lord knows I have no idea what to do with it!

Yes I have .. but do pretest the fabrics for washability( some are dry clean only) . Larger pieces definately work better than small units. Many upholstery fabric needs a wider seam allowance ( 1/2 inch) and becasue its bulker .. press seams open or intersections can be very very thick.
    A thinner batting is best , since there is so much more weight to the upholstery fabric.

yes i have- and i have used some for backings- in my old home town there is a little (novelty shop) ran by an interior designer and her husband (or maybe he's the designer- i don't know ) anyway- they offer bolt ends of left over's really inexpensively- i was lucky enough to pick up a couple beautiful bolts of fabric that retails for $65 a yard- it was 72" wide and there were just under 4 yards on the bolt- all for $20! one was a beautiful satiny cream fabric the other an embroidered burgandy/gold. i wish i was closer to that shop :)

sorry must be a double click finger moment

I use upholstery fabric for the backs of walker bags fir the Veterans and other crafty items
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-104467-1.htm

I'd be worried about the quilt's durability. It seems that upholstery fabrics are often more loosely woven than the cottons we quilters usually use. I'd definitely consider doing a wider than 1/4 inch seam. If you make one, be sure to post the photos! :P

I made a "throw" for a chair as my first attempt at rag-quilts. I didn't have enough old jeans, but I had three books of upholstery samples that were given to me. For the back side of the blocks I used lighter weight fabrics from sample drapery books which were also given to me.

This thing weighed a ton, which is why it did not go on to become a full sized quilt. One word to the unsuspecting newbie at rag quilts; do not attempt to wash this at home. TAKE THIS TO A FRONT LOAD WASHER AT A LAUNDROMAT. (Yes, I ignored Dry Cleaning recommendations.)

Sew your 1/2 inch seams TWICE. I don't think I could have been happier if I would have seen this in a designer catalog and received numerous compliments. Keep in mind, it is not for the physically weak. It is a full upper-body work out, and unless your muscles are ready, they will talk to you loudly for days to come.

I don,t know how to add additional info after I started. I did try to make a quilt from the upholstery fabric and ripped it apart as I had trouble keeping the squares even. I probably needed wider seams as you suggest. I never thought to put in a batting as it was quite thick and I had a piece of velvet type to use on the backing. I think I will take it out again and see what I can do with it.

I was also in a fabric store that sold upholstery fabric on rolls and had stacks packed together for only 2.00. It is now closed. I wish I had been able to pick up more. This was in Marietta Ohio, where my sister lives.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast