Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting YBR >

Quilting YBR

Quilting YBR

Old 08-03-2014, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Edie View Post
OK, I give up. I am not in the loop, outcast, whatever, but thank you very much, I have no intention of learning a bunch of initials. .............. I am OTD, proud of it, learning every day, will be celebrating my 76th birthday next month and I will not let initials interfere with my learning of new words - not initials. Oh, incidentally, OTD is Older than Dirt!!!!!!! (Just thought I would throw that in!!!) .......................... Edie
I'm with you ... somewhat ... I, too, will celebrate my 76th next month ... learning and remembering the initials is a challenge in and of itself !!
Old 08-03-2014, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by johnette View Post
Someone mentioned quilting end to end on this topic so as not to have threads. I always thought that if I did'nt start in the middle and work out something terrible would happen. Is it true I can stitch end to end without diaster? That would be so much easier. I am getting ready to start quilting a king size thinking outside the block quilt and trying to figure out how to quilt it. I don't do free motion and I don't really like the quilting process on my domestic machine...so anything to make it easier would be great.
I do edge to edge quilting all the time. But my first rows/lines are in the MIDDLE of the quilt. Then I gradually work to the outside edges. Also I alternate the direction of the lines each time--the first line sewn top to bottom, the 2nd line sewn bottom to top, the3rd line top to bottom, etc. I usually sew 3-4 lines on the right of center then 3-4 lines on the left side so the quilting is staying fairly balanced on each side as I work out from the center. The wavy lines (with walking foot) are easier than trying to do even straight lines!! And there are no threads to bury unless your bobbin runs out in the middle of a line.
Old 08-03-2014, 01:28 PM

Maybe one of the more knowledgeable members will write out a list of the abbreviations. We could print it out and keep it by our computer. And, Edie, you're not older than dirt. I'm waaaay older than you and just learning this process. It is certainly helping to keep me more alert and interested in life though. Bless all the quilters of the world!!
Old 08-03-2014, 01:30 PM

Oops! I lost track. I love the wavy lines and definitely will give it a go. I'm almost sure I could handle that. I think it does give a more modern look to the quilting and think the young ones would really like it.
Old 08-03-2014, 02:17 PM

I'm in my 50's & don't know all the abbreviations so I found them on the main board & printed them out. I keep my reference pages next to my computer. I would never remember all those initials without my cheat sheets.
Jeri
Old 08-03-2014, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by RainyBC View Post
Maybe one of the more knowledgeable members will write out a list of the abbreviations. We could print it out and keep it by our computer. And, Edie, you're not older than dirt. I'm waaaay older than you and just learning this process. It is certainly helping to keep me more alert and interested in life though. Bless all the quilters of the world!!
There is a comprehensive list already done for everyone. Go to the Main homepage and it is always the first post, called Quilters Dictionary/Acronyms. It stays there all the time. Great resource!
Old 08-03-2014, 06:00 PM

On larger quilts..........this was approx. 63" x 72", I cross hatch using painters tape and a walking foot. I use a temporary spray adhesive to sandwich, measure from one corner using the 45 degree mark on my ruler and mark the longest diagonal line with wide painters tape (usually about 1 3/4" wide). I do pin down the center of the tape however, because the throat on my domestic sewing machine is just 6 1/2" and manipulating the quilt through the throat can dislodge the tape. I sew, using the walking foot, down both sides of the tape and then move it. If you use two lengths, you can use one as a spacer, so that you can sew down both sides of the next tape. Here is the Yellow Brick Road I did using the cross hatch method. I never have trouble with puckering and don't alternate the direction of the stitching. I try to sew with the bulk of the quilt to the left of the needle whenever possible.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]486211[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails recovery-quilt.jpg  
Old 08-03-2014, 07:18 PM

Love your quilt EmiliasNana. The cross hatch looks very nice!
Old 08-04-2014, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
I just want to make it clear that there is a difference between (1) using the serpentine stitch on your machine and (2) quilting wavy lines with a walking foot. The wavy lines are made with a straight stitch and a walking foot, but you move the fabric to the right and left as you sew. With serpentine stitch, you are basically sewing a straight line but using a stitch that creates waves to the right and left of your stitching line. Both are useful, but the look they create is quite different.

Hope this is clearer than mud......
Prism, I am getting ready to use what I think you are calling a serpentine stitch, but my kids call it a sine wave. It can be adjusted to look like a loose curve up to a tight scallop. What worries me is not the first row, but the 2nd. If I start out with the waves parallel, they'll be off at some point for sure. I was hoping to sort of stagger them. Your wavy lines are starting to look like a better bet. Thanks for posting the picture.

hugs,
Charlotte
Old 08-04-2014, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
Edie,
I think the acronyms are used so frequently by many that no one thinks about them anymore. They can be a timesaver when pecking out a message on a tiny mobile phone keyboard if you are not on a full computer keyboard. Anyway hope that helps a little!
I even have trouble on the Ipad keyboard. Bifocals sure aren't helping. It's not right to assume we're all lazy, either. There are a lot of folks here with disabilities as well, and I, for one, want to say things as economically as possible. Plus, the initials are bigger and easier to see.

hugs,
Charlotte