Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilts from a lost loved one. >

quilts from a lost loved one.

quilts from a lost loved one.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:28 PM

This isn't really a quilting question.But it does have to do with quilts. I recently lost my mother. I had made several quilts for her. My sister has them right now but would like me to come get them.Has anyone else made special quilts for a loved one and gotten them back when they pass away? I just don't know that I want them. Or maybe it's just too soon. One is a Picture quilt, with pictures of her and family. Another is one of sun bonnet Sues and Sams representing all 8 of her children and a couple in the center for her and my father. The second was used at her viewing. I'm wondeering if I should give them away or wait to see if in time it won't hurt so badly to see them. I don't know if anyone else would actually want them. Any advice or similar stories would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:31 PM

((((Marmie)))) peace comes with sweet memories, so maybe some time will help. And, by then maybe your sister will have a better appreciation and you can share some of them, too. It's touchy stuff, dear. Bless you dearly.

Blessings, Ruth
Old 12-29-2010, 08:31 PM
RST

I think you should hold on to them for a time, and make your decision later. Do you have children or other family who might want them down the road?

I'm sorry for you loss. Be kind to yourself.

RST
Old 12-29-2010, 08:32 PM
Power Poster

I would carefully store them. You will know when the time is right you will know what you want to do with them. Give yourself some healing time before you make any decision about them. Just my thoughts....
Old 12-29-2010, 08:35 PM

thankyou. I think your right. I think my sister is afraid something will happen to them.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:37 PM

thankyou. I guess it's to soon.My daughter has a cedar chest.Maybe she would keep them for me for a while.
Originally Posted by erstan947
I would carefully store them. You will know when the time is right you will know what you want to do with them. Give yourself some healing time before you make any decision about them. Just my thoughts....
Old 12-29-2010, 08:39 PM

I think your right, thankyou. I have 5 children and 8 grandchildren.maybe one of them would like them later on.
Originally Posted by RST
I think you should hold on to them for a time, and make your decision later. Do you have children or other family who might want them down the road?

I'm sorry for you loss. Be kind to yourself.

RST
Old 12-29-2010, 08:40 PM

Don't pass up on holding onto something that you may really regret when you're not so close to the situation. I lost my Dad in Sept. and I wanted everything I had made him that my Mom didn't want to keep. If I made it, it has a lot of memories for me that I will eventually be able to look back on lovingly and fondly without feeling grief, but rather the joy of knowing he enjoyed them and knowing he is looking down watching me remember him.

You'll know what to do. Just give yourself a little time to get some perspective before you do anything.

God Bless. Cherie

Thankyou.
Originally Posted by mrspete
((((Marmie)))) peace comes with sweet memories, so maybe some time will help. And, by then maybe your sister will have a better appreciation and you can share some of them, too. It's touchy stuff, dear. Bless you dearly.

Blessings, Ruth

You made the quilts for her to make her happy - I'm sure she would want you to have them to cherish the memories :) For now store them in a safe place. One day they will be priceless to you. I'm so sorry for your loss.